Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I think my daughter is mentally retarded.

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 42 Replies

DD is 13mo and when she was born, she was 4 weeks early. She has always been behind on things. She has cognitive delay, social delay, and motor delay. She USE to have her tongue hang out all the time and I asked her doctor about it cause people told me it was a sign of mental retardation and her pedi said that kids with down syndrome usually do that and my dd does not have down syndrome. Anyways, my DD's 2 bottom teeth came in so her tongue doesn't hang out anymore. She always has this gaze like she's not here. When I take her places and go in public she just stares at the ground even if I try to get her attention. She use to get OT and DT but we moved recently and they haven't transfered her case over to our new town yet. When we go to her check-ups they ask me if she's meeting milestones and she never was. She started rolling over at 7mo, sitting up by herself at 8mo, and now walking at 13mo. She doesn't babble. When I try to play with her, it's like she pretends I'm not there. I'll get in her face and act all crazy excited and her head is turned looking at the ground. I don't think her doctor thinks anything is wrong just that she is tiny (was 0%tile weight,height, 100% for head  but recently 1% length and 20% weight)  and going at her own pace. I guess I know what I need to do and that is to press the doctor to take a better look, I guess I'm just venting and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same with their child.

I forgot to mention that I thought she was deaf and we got her hearing tested. The audiologist said she has the mechianisms to hear but her awareness of sound is minimal. She started responding to her name around 12mo old.

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM
I'd push the doc and if he still brushes it off, seek another opinion.

Could she possibly have hearing issues?
BoxxyBabee
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Quoting -42-:

I'd push the doc and if he still brushes it off, seek another opinion.

Could she possibly have hearing issues?

I forgot to mention that I thought she was deaf and we got her hearing tested. The audiologist said she has the mechianisms to hear but her awareness of sound is minimal.

She started responding to her name around 12mo old.

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Docs havent diagnosed anything even though she was going thru therapies? Its not odd tho being so young. Btw: walking at 13 mos is normal. ...
Anywho, keep taking to docs & therapies. It could be a form of autism or possible retardation or nothing at all, tho its sounds like SOMETHING is going on & you as the mother KNOW when things are just not right. Whatever is going on, the earliest you get answers, diagnosis & therapy interventions the better for her! I knew something was off w my oldest early on & at 3 started serious talks w pediatrician & started tests & evals... still took 3 more yrs to dx w classic adhd & slow maturation caused by adhd. Keep going on your path & make docs listen if it feels like they are sweeping your concerns aside. You are doing right by her by looking for the answer to the puzzle to help her as best you can as fast as you can.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

What milestones is she behind in?  Walking at 13 months is right in the "normal"range.  Given she is a preemie she may have life long delays that does not mean there is retardation present.   It could be a processing disorder going on with physical delays tied in.  Definitely push to get her back into whichever therapies she was involved in to keep her on track.

Uniquecoolio
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM
4 moms liked this

mentally retarded is no longer part of assessment of intelligence or anything else. in fact, 'retarded' is thought of much akin to the 'n' word, the 'c' word and so many others. perhaps your daughter is developmentally delayed? or not meeting milestones as you might expect? etc. but not 'retarded'; just as my two 'challenged', 'special' etc boys are not 'retarded'.

Sbellemommy
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Get a 2nd opinion.
diaperstodating
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Please don't use the word "retarded"! Your daughter is special needs, developmentally delayed or challenged - not "retarded".
Uniquecoolio
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

HEY! I live in raven's nation also! GO RAVENS!

Quoting diaperstodating:

Please don't use the word "retarded"! Your daughter is special needs, developmentally delayed or challenged - not "retarded".

Retrokitty
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Mentally retarded is not an appropriate term anymore. Developmentally she sounds right on track to be honest. I would be more concerned about the non responding which could be an indicator of autism.
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Sounds exactly like my cousin who was low functioning autistic. She even had hearing aids because they thought she was deaf (she would rip them out and either throw them somewhere or eat them).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)