Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

New to the oil rig life

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM
  • 15 Replies
My husband is going to be leaving to work on a rig in North Dakota. We live in California and when he leaves ill be staying here with our two girls until we save enough for us to buy a house close to where he would be. I'm nervous because there will be times that he can't come to California and see us the 2 weeks he is off. How easy is it to save money. I've only lived in California so when I do move to somewhere over there I will have no family or friends. Just curious on what advice you guys could give me.
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PandaSamm
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Housing out here is getting ridiculous with the massive influx of people! Good luck to him trying to find anything... although it is getting better than it was. Which town is he going to?

There are tons of people swarming here and a lot are families moving away from everyone they know and im sure they have some sort of 'groups' you can go to and meet other people as well.
Texasladybug84
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Ugh I hate it here. Too mamy out of state ppl and not enough room. Hopefully your not moving to watford or Williston. Very dangerous areas, my hubby won't let me even go to Williston. I've also been warned by another man from there before too. I'd say get use to traffic, construction big rigs and lots and lots of ice and snow. This past year we had it from oct-may.im ready to move.
Jocelynn1994
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM
We considered it for the money since its just the two of us but decided against it
locaporbebe
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
We have done it for 3 years. My husband works in Wyoming and we live in western Washington. He is considering a move to ND for work but he knows we will stay here. I would NEVER live in oil town hell. He comes home for his 2 weeks off and while it has taken a giant adjustment we make it work. As for saving money that is entirely up to you.
MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Good luck, I hope all goes well and his job is a success.

Kelshowy
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM

we know he is going to be in Cyclone Drilling but we still dont know the exact town.  And i think when we do move it wont be in ND it will probably be a state closer than california. just really new to all this, and dont know what to really expect other than being some what of a single mom part of a month.  but thank you for all of your comments :)

rosewind13
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister lives there. She absolutely hates it. The cost of living is astronomical and there are too many people for the size of the towns. Plus the winters are awful. There were times last year it was 50 below. Personally, I don't think it's worth the money.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group,
Housing is more expensive in California then in a lot of other places,
Godo luck :)

kkgaskin90
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:49 PM

My husband often works out of town and we moved somewhere I knew NOBODY! You have to make an effort to find local mommy groups and meet up with people. I work from home so I don't have an opportunity to meet people in an office and hang out so I make play dates and use Facebook to connect with people. Social media is a game changer! 

demonica29
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Yeah, no. Having a husband out of town does not equal being a single mom, not by a long shot. 

Quoting Kelshowy:

we know he is going to be in Cyclone Drilling but we still dont know the exact town.  And i think when we do move it wont be in ND it will probably be a state closer than california. just really new to all this, and dont know what to really expect other than being some what of a single mom part of a month.  but thank you for all of your comments :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)