Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do those who recieve FS really get 4.50 a day?

Posted by   + Show Post

Panera Bread CEO Ron Shaich is very hungry. "I can't stop thinking about food," he wrote on his LinkedIn blog yesterday. That's because he was on day 4 of a week-long challenge to eat on just $4.50 per day. He's doing it to raise awareness of how people on food stamps live: That's how much a person on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program receives, Shaich explains.

NEWSER: Whales record years of pollution -- in their earwax

His SNAP Challenge comes during Hunger Action Month—and it also comes as the House is set to discuss this week a proposal that could see SNAP funding cut by $40 billion over the next 10 years, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Shaich did all his shopping for the week on a $31.50 budget. He's trying to eat as healthily as possible, but was forced to rely on carb-heavy foods and couldn't afford many fruits and vegetables, he writes. By yesterday, his thoughts were "consumed by food," he continues.

"When is my next meal? How much food is left in my cabinet? Will it get me through the week? What should I spend my remaining few dollars on? What would I eat if I had no budget at all?"

Joining Shaich in the challenge is Feeding America CEO Bob Aiken. Cory Booker undertook a similar challenge last year, spending just $29.78 for a week's worth of food.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/17/newser-panera-ceo-food-stamps/2826547/

I dont know the exact amt some people I know get in FS each month, but I swear I think its more than that! So, if you recieve FS, does it average out to 4.50 a day (and I am guessing per person who recieves them)?

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM
What you get is based on your income and how much extra they judge your family family to need to make ends meet... It is not intended to be your full grocery budget.... That said I don't get food stamps but $675 a month for my family of 5 would by a very nice grocery budget. On a good month we have $500 on a tight one we have less than $300.
bordenmomof3
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
If you look at the post right above the one you just posted it will show you that I said we only got 144 a month for a family of five. Not $700.

Quoting working-girl:

Per person? That's more than $700 a month! Geeze... and dude from Panera cannot live on that? lol!!!!! Well, he is an executive who lives the high life and probably used to eating filet and lobster daily... for BREAKFAST! haha! So, I guess it's no surprise he's "starving"

Quoting bordenmomof3:

I just did the math from when we were on it and we were getting 4.73 a day for a family of five.

CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM

When I has FS, it averaged to 11.50 per day (my son and I together). That was calculated to assuming each month only had 30 days. We made it work and no one starved.

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM
We get 2.59 per person per day for 5 people.
working-girl
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

ok.

still a week worth of groceries... for free.

Quoting bordenmomof3:

If you look at the post right above the one you just posted it will show you that I said we only got 144 a month for a family of five. Not $700.

Quoting working-girl:

Per person? That's more than $700 a month! Geeze... and dude from Panera cannot live on that? lol!!!!! Well, he is an executive who lives the high life and probably used to eating filet and lobster daily... for BREAKFAST! haha! So, I guess it's no surprise he's "starving"

Quoting bordenmomof3:

I just did the math from when we were on it and we were getting 4.73 a day for a family of five.

A CAMPING WE WILL GO - Do you LOVE to camp? Maybe something you've never done but would like to try? Join us for camping conversation, reviews, tips, recipes, and more!http://www.cafemom.com/group/118687

bordenmomof3
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM
It was not like we were not trying. I was working and my dh was in college. But you must of also missed the pass tense in the sentence. We were getting. We are not getting any service anymore thank you. People do run into hard times. Not everyone is lazy.

Quoting working-girl:

ok.

still a week worth of groceries... for free.

Quoting bordenmomof3:

Quoting working-girl:

Quoting bordenmomof3:

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:32 AM
2 moms liked this
I know there are many on CM who disagree with the idea of people receiving any kind of assistance from the government. I am on the opposite side of this. I would like to see all who need some help getting adequate funds to secure an appropriate amount of food without them having to eat in an unhealthy way; like skimping on fruits and vegetables. Our country can afford to feed all her people and we should all be ashamed that we are not doing so while many at the top of the economic pyramid live lavishly while exploiting a system that favors them in every way.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:47 AM
frankly even if you reported her. the workers are overwhelmed and not really encouraged to go digging for dirt on people. as long as she sends in her documentation when asked and there is no activity on her social security number. which there wouldn't be if she is working under the table, I think your information would get filed under the rug.

Quoting Jadesmommy13:

I really have thought about it, but I can't do that to my niece and nephews, it would hurt them them the most.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting Jadesmommy13:

The thing that irritates me the most is her and her husband work.... Under the table. Which is bull shit! She gets her apartment rent paid for and free childcare and fs..... WTF! She is taking advantage of the system.

Quoting jadedcynic:

That's only 4.40 per person per day.

Quoting Jadesmommy13:My sister has 6 people in her family and she gets almost $800 a month.... Which is crazy to me! I'm not sure about the exact amount, but it's pretty high.

REPORT HER!

krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:49 AM
$3.37/person per day
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I dont know about the area you live in but in Ohio, they take fraud seriously.

My ex dh was recieving FS. My son however, started getting free lunch at school and when I said something to the school about him not being eligible, they said well someone in Ohio is getting aid on him cuz he was thrown into the system and qualified. I explained that I dont recieve any aid in any form and the only person I knew close to my son who did was his father. Two months later I got a call from the county ex lives in, wanting info about me and my son and asking for documentation of our living status. (they wanted proof son was in my school district, ex and I live about three counties apart, an hour from each other) The worker was very nice and answered all my questions about the matter. I found out that ex had went to a hearing that morning and he was to submit proof that son lived with him to keep recieving aid, which he couldnt do since son lived with me. NOW, ex was convicted of fraud but all his punishment consisted of was him paying back what he recieved for our son, but i was told by worker it could end up he loses his home and does time in prison if it exceeded a certain amt of fraud. I havent spoke to ex about any of it other than to argue with him on it. (he thinks I turned him in when in fact it was our sons school who notified the county ex lives in) So far, he hasnt lost his house or in jail so I guess it wasnt over a certain amt but enough for him to have to pay back to county.

Quoting calsmom62:

frankly even if you reported her. the workers are overwhelmed and not really encouraged to go digging for dirt on people. as long as she sends in her documentation when asked and there is no activity on her social security number. which there wouldn't be if she is working under the table, I think your information would get filed under the rug.

Quoting Jadesmommy13:

I really have thought about it, but I can't do that to my niece and nephews, it would hurt them them the most.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting Jadesmommy13:

The thing that irritates me the most is her and her husband work.... Under the table. Which is bull shit! She gets her apartment rent paid for and free childcare and fs..... WTF! She is taking advantage of the system.

Quoting jadedcynic:

That's only 4.40 per person per day.

Quoting Jadesmommy13:My sister has 6 people in her family and she gets almost $800 a month.... Which is crazy to me! I'm not sure about the exact amount, but it's pretty high.

REPORT HER!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)