Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have experience with Tick bites?

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:56 PM
  • 16 Replies
My daughter came out to me yesterday and said she had an itchy booboo on her butt.  Here she is standing with her cheeks spread (sorry for being graphic *L*) and I see a nasty little tick stuck right between her cheeks.  Thankfully I had just picked up a tick remover this past week when I was at the doctors office just in case.  I got it out without too much fuss but the spot it was in still looks really red and irratated and it's been more than 24 hours since I pulled it out.

I looked up photos and it was definitely a deer tick, not sure if its a female or a nymph it was too hard to tell the two apart in the pictures.  Either way, the potential for Lyme is there (only males and larvae don't carry I learned).  But I think I know when she got it and it was less than 24 hours from when I pulled it out so she should be safe.

Has anyone had a bite or your child had a bite that stayed red (looks like a blood blister kindof) like this.  Irelynn had one last year but it was on her shoulder and it just bubbled up, never turned red.  I'm wondering if she did this while scratching at it before she knew what it was.

Any input would be appreciated.  It just makes me nervous that it is still so red.  I should note that it is NOT a bullseye.  It's the site of the bite itself that is red.  And I did get the head BTW, so it isn't that either.
by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C.C.of2
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:00 PM
If it looks like a bulls eye with a red center and white circle around the outside, then it could be something that you want to have checked out. If not, and it is itchy, put some cortisone cream or some anti-itch cream on it and watch it. As long as it doesn't look infected, it is probably okay. Any doubts then I would go to the doctor to have it checked out.
tracy227
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:01 PM
I would take her to the doctor's JUST to be safe -- better safe than sorry!
Queen1382
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:07 PM
My SS had a nasty tick bite last year...same scenario as yours....pulled it out within 24 hours and got the head as well. It remained red for several weeks, but we did take him to the doctor. The doctor said it was fine...he prescribed some amoxycillin (Spelling) and he took that, but it still remained red. (He only prescribed the Amoxycillian to be safe, but he felt everything was okay). After a few weeks...it just went away. Take the lil one in just to be safe....but I think they are okay.

Tracey
PTwo
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:10 PM
when in doubt, get it checked out! my nephew came down with lyme disease when he was young, no one knew what was wrong until the bullseye showed up. at the time, i was an emt and he was on vacation at my house in the "woods" up in MD. I immediately took him to my doctor. i wouldn't wait one more second to get her to a doctor!
dellis1066
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:11 PM
I grew up in the mountains with tons of deer ticks.  I have lost count of how many I have pulled out.  LOL  My son had one in his armpit when he was really young. 

Are you absolutely certain that you got out the entire tick?  Sometimes, when removing the tick the tiny head of the tick can come off.  It that is the case, the head can keep burrowing into her skin.  This could cause swelling and, in some cases, infection. 

If you are certain that you removed the entire tick, it should heal and be just fine.  I would take her to the doctor if you are really worried, it is always best to err on the side of caution.  However, I have had so many tick bites and I am just fine.  Good luck.
cassiedove
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:14 PM

My son had one when he was smaller. I think he was about 4 or so. Sorry to be so graphic but it was in his private area hidden under his male parts and since he was bathing himself at that time it went unnoticed for a while( no idea how long). It  was pretty fat  when we finally found it, it was a fat little tick. I cleaned it and watched it for redness. His did  stay red for a few days but it went away. I would just observe for signs that could indicate a problem.

kidsgot2luvem
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:20 PM

My daughter is allergic to tick bites and it leaves sores on her that look like big mosquito bites welp that have been scratched til they bleed and turn to scabs.  This is everytime she has a tick.  I have always been told to paint over the bite with clear nail polish because if the head is still inside that will smother it.  It should also reduce the itching.  If she has a fever then you want to call the doctor right away just to be on the safe side.  Next time paint the tick real heavy --that helps insure the head comes out. 
Also works on chiggers.

Ballerina
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Hello!  I've  had experience! with ticks!!! Oooooo Nasty! buggers
    you make want to take! her to the Dr. again!!! if the redness, is swelling!
  Just to be on the safe! side!!! I don't me to worry  you, but when you get bit by a tick, you shouldn't pull... them out! because,  they burried their heads, beneath your... Skin!  this could lead to several... problems, such as "Lime"
  "Desease" or worse then that! "Tick" "Fever!  'Which many childern,and adults!  have died... from!  "How do I know? I 've had ticks of my own!

"When I was a child, I went camping! with my parent's to "White Water"
   Wis.  Where, I  was putting my suit on in the tent, I Noticed this black bug
  that had seemed to cling, himself! right... to  my well, you know! He was
    below my navel, and not quite well, you know where!

Any, way! only being maybe nine, ten! at the time, I didn't think to much of it!

when suddenly I went screaming... and racing to my  Mom!  remembering, what she had warned! Me about!!! them!  It, was luckly enough! that  it didn't have it's head! quite, burried... into just above my twikie dink! It was rather, embarssing for me at the time though! because, My Dad's best  friend, actually ended up burning the ticks head off!  How did he do this? 
   Yes, with the tip of his Cigarette!  "See, people! smoking... doe's come in handy! at times! 

They say fingernail polish remover! is one of the best  things  to get rid of a tick! because it soffocates it so the tick loosens it's head!  you can also use rubbing acholol.

They! both work!!!!
   I don't know to much about! Deer Ticks! only that you can get Lime desease!
    Hope! this helps!!! 

Rena
Ballerina
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:32 PM
 oh get a good Antibiodic  Like neosporine!  or from your Dr. You can also try
  Zink, OXIDE!
SVSASHER
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:40 PM
I'D GET IT CHECKED OUT BY THE DOCTOR JUST TO BE ON THE SAME SIDE. KEEP ME INFORMED ON HER.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)