Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you stay?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
Say you have a part time job that you really like. A full time position came open and your boss " highly encouraged you to apply" several times during a conversation. And also stated he would work with the schedule you needed. With this company you have to apply like any other person even though you are a current employee. You do the interview and DONT get the job. Someone else is picked. Would you be upset? Would you find other employement? And the fact that everyone in the office knows you applied and didn't get the job.
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL in the same position!  I am staying because I still have bills to pay and care more about supporting my family than saving face with my co-workers.

LovlyRita
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Sure. Often it's not one person that does the hiring and my boss thought highly enough of me to encourage me to go for it. I would stay.
Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I would be upset that the boss highly encouraged me to apply for the job and even stated that he would work with the schedule I needed and then picked someone else. I would most likely think that they picked someone that they did not have to work the schedule around etc.I would not find other employment, I would keep working at the part time job that I really like.

Zirallan
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Your boss might have had nothing to do with the hiring of the other position. He might have been able to recomend you and might even have been able to work with your schedule had you been hired, but often it's the HR department that does the actual hiring.

trainlady
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Life goes on. You have a job and they are hard to come by. Stay where you are at and benefit from it. Another one will come along that is better and then you can make the move. In the meantime don't let your co-workers bother you. At least you stood up and tried for the job and that's more than they did. Square your shoulders and stay where you are. Moving around is bad on your resume for the future remembe that.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Yes I would stay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimsamomof3
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM
The thing is HE is the one that has final say in who is hired.

Quoting LovlyRita:

Sure. Often it's not one person that does the hiring and my boss thought highly enough of me to encourage me to go for it. I would stay.

kimsamomof3
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM
My boss has final say in who is hired.

Quoting Zirallan:

Your boss might have had nothing to do with the hiring of the other position. He might have been able to recomend you and might even have been able to work with your schedule had you been hired, but often it's the HR department that does the actual hiring.

Sophiana
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Who cares what they think. Do they pay your rent? No!!! 

Mamamanic
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:30 AM

If there is a better candidate, then there is a better one. I'm sure if he is telling you to do it, then he is trying to look out for you and has some confidence. Seems strange because you can't even use him as a refrence can you???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)