Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Fabulousely Frustraited

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 9 Replies
So Id like to think that I am a very understanding mommy they dont like peas cookd but raw then bring it on. They wanna wear skirts and its raining lets grab them tights but there is a situation that is driving a huge wall between me and my so. Our oldest daughter has begun wetting the bed. I mean there are nights were she dosent then there are nights were she will and to top it off she lays in it all night like there is nothing wrong. As I stated before she began this a month ago nothing new happened nothing at all. Its almost a controle issue with her. Nothing we have done works. Withholding fluids before bed waking her up multiple times a night to go potty nothing. My so is not wanting to give her treats and allow her tv movie time anythhing til she stops. The dr said there isnt an infection and nothing health wise is the issue. She snores loudly and will be tested for that issue but I am at a loss. Can any of you ladys help?
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Momofmenagerie
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Get the good nite's bed pads first of all. Second of all, she isn't telling you either because she's sleeping through it or under the threat of punishment, ( she's not gonna say anything)

My son was a bed wetter till almost nine. It was not a control issue, but his bladder was small plus he was a very heavy sleeper and didn't call for me unless he moved in the night and it got cold.

I never made it a big deal out of it ...ever. Simply sent him with clean pj's and boxers while I stripped the sheets and did that part. All he was responsible for helping with was learning to wash them.

I did take him to have an ultra sound of kidneys and bladder just in case. He has a cyst on his kidney, but " nothing to worry about"

Try the bed mats, ask your husband and yourself how a child can wet the bed as a "control" issue against ya'll when she's asleep.
Just because a doctor doesn't see any problem doesn't mean it's her fault.

She certainly isn't going to tell you if threats have been made against her little freedoms due to something she does while asleep.

I believe there needs to be a discussion between mom and dad about how ya'll were raised.... It seems there was a difference in handling issues in his home and yours...( who in his family wet the bed? Sure sounds like there was one.)
leenrs
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM
How old? Full bladder control is not gained until about 7. Some kids later. Have u asked her whats up? Maybe it is related to how deeply she sleeps. I know it sounds harsh but maybe just let her go and clean up in morning?..I know itcan push yourbuttons when it seems willful. Twonights ago my 6yo just peed on the floor....then just looked at me and said everyone has accidents right mom...grrrr
jadedcynic
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Like the PP said, how can it be a control issue when she is asleep? She isn't deliberately trying to ruin your night by wetting the bed. Sometimes kids' bladders don't grow as fast as the rest of them, or they don't know the signals that they have to wake up and go.

I remember at 7 having a vivid dream that I got up and walked into the bathroom, only to wake up because I'd wet myself. Apparently the toilet dream is fairly common; my sisters and both of my kids have also had the dream.

Make sure she goes before bedtime. Use the pads. And most importantly, don't shame or punish her for something that is not her fault!

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

My first question would be whats happening differently on the nights she wets. Is she sooo tired she just doesn't wake up?

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

trainlady
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM

If she snores loudly perhaps she is sleeping too soundly and therefore doesn't even know she is wetting the bed. As for punishment stop that. It is far more effective to reward her for the times she doesn't wet the bed and let that get set in her mind that goodies comes if she doesn't pee the bed. Punishing a child who has no control for some reason is not the answer and causes the child sleep problems because she is afraid to go to sleep and pee the bed because she is going to be punished. But if she goes to bed thinking there will be a reward in the morning if she doesn't wet the bed is a far more beneficial to her and to you. Putting up the reward won't stop her immediately but as time goes by it will eventually take over. In the meantime put diapers on her so she is not sleeping in urine and so you don't have to change the bedding everyday. No matter her age you can fashion some kind of diaper. If she is older use adult depends and also put a pad under her when she sleeps. In the meantime stop making it the center concentration of your day and hers. Let off the pressure.

Collins_Clan
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM
The reason we think it is a controle thing with her is if she has a great day but her sister isnt then she pees cuz her sister is a ontop of her all the time type but if sissys fine she wont pee.
Collins_Clan
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Plus she is 8 and never did this before a month ago. She knows she can talk to me and that I will help her threw whatever maybe upsetting her.
luckysevenwow
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM
This doesn't make any sense.

Quoting Collins_Clan:

The reason we think it is a controle thing with her is if she has a great day but her sister isnt then she pees cuz her sister is a ontop of her all the time type but if sissys fine she wont pee.
luckysevenwow
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Is she standing up in the bed and then pee'ing or is she doing it in her sleep? If she's sleeping then clearly it has nothing to do with control.

I wouldn't make this a power struggle, get her some good nights, a padding for her bed and move on.

One if my older girls would pike in her sleep, sleep right through it and in it. It was disgusting, but she honestly didn't know it happened till she wake up all stinky and gross.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN