Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What an ornery old man! (kind of long, but a little funny vent)

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 13 Replies

My boyfriend was supposed to have a stin put in his heart today, or so we thought. Luckily we didn't need it!

So, we get to the hospital this morning at 5:30 AM. After they get my boyfriend prepped for the procedure at 6:15, they brought me in the room to see him before they wheeled him away. The doctor came in to talk to me. Asked me basic questions about the FMLA paper work and how soon he wanted to get back to work. An hour later, they bring him back in. All I was told by the nurses was to make sure he doesn't move his leg. Okay sure thing. They only did a heart cath to check everything out. Turns out he doesnt need a stint and the doctor was also confused why they put a pacemaker in him in 2004. The whole time, he was begging me for a cigarette and to get him out of there. I told him if he kept complaining I'd have them tranquilize him and keep him over night (joking with him). I left the room with one request - get some sleep! My son and I left the room, went to the car, then went to the lunch room. We came back an hour or so later. He was still in bed, fussing that he just wanted to get up and go home. I kept telling him no, that he can't walk just yet because they had to run a line in his major artery and if he moves while it's still bleeding he could bleed to death. He was doing all sorts of wiggling around. I grabbed him by his head and looked dead into his eyes and said "Stop moving! You will kill yourself yet, old man!" He was so ornery! My son and I laid down in the chair to get some sleep. I kept an eye on his blood pressure and oxygen levels. They were great before going to lunch, and still alright when we came back. As my son fell asleep, the computer started making all sorts of beeping sounds. I had to kick the stoppers off on the chair and roll it around to find out what was going on (no nurses came in at all, and that pissed me off). His blood pressure was really low at 100/63. He had been running at 120/80 most of the time. His oxygen was also at 83, when it had been staying at 90 and above. I started feeding him fries that my son had left over from lunch!! And the funny thing about that was, after I fed him those fries (I was hand feeding him like a puppy) his levels started getting better! lol About the time I was about to FINALLY get some sleep, the nurse came in to discharge him! Before the nurse could even get the bed rails down and start disconnecting anything, he jumps up out of that bed wearing absolutely NOTHING - no hospital gown. Penis was flying everywhere. My jaw drops and the nurse ran!! lol After he got his pants on, I let the nurse know it was safe to come back in. He couldn't even wait for her to come back in when he started to peel off the medical tape the IV was covered in!! If my son had not been on me, I would have slapped the back of his head. I've never seen an old man move so fast! He was dressed in under one minute! Literally! Not exaggerating! The other nurse that was there to wheel him out the car had to fight with him about sitting in the wheel chair because the policy is they have to take walk you out in a wheel chair. right there in front of the 4 nurses, I gave him a quick glace and said sternly "Sit your ass down. Stop being stubborn! I will call your mom" then showed him HIS phone in my hand with his mom and speed dial. He then sat down. He insisted that he drive us home. Absolutely not, sir! You cannot and will not! We stopped by his job to drop off the papers the doctor had to fill out. Then came home. It was after 3pm at this point. My son walked in the house and went right back to sleep on the couch. My boyfriend was laying down, and I went to lay down with him and used him as a pillow thinking that if he tried to get up I would wake up and could get onto him some more about needing rest. Nope, apparently when I went to sleep, I was out cold and don't remember him getting up. 3 hours later, I wake up and my son is STILL asleep. My boyfriend had been to the store and back. He swept and mopped the kitchen and had dinner going. In my still half asleep state, I ask "what the fuck are you doing?!" He goes, "Oh shit! I.. umm.. I'm just hungry." I look at him and said, "Noo.. You are being bull headed!" I give up.. I can't make him relax. Now, all he is doing is bitching that he has to be off work until Tuesday. I have to keep telling him that is because he just had something major done and he needs to take it lightly. His work even told him this afternoon he is going to be put on extra light duty for a while.

I love this man, and would not trade him for the world. He has done more help for me and my son than any man I've ever known. At his age (60) and his health being down for a few weeks, he still does way too much for us. I appreciate him and if I lost him any time soon I'd be devastated.

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM

stint, not stin lol

CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Oh, and the only reason I gave him fries is because he hadn't eaten anything in 12 hours and kept saying he was hungry. There was nothing stated that he couldn't eat, and they were supposed to have brought him something.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Awww.  They did not feed him at all while in the hospital?  I would think hunger could cause everything to drop like it did.   My guy is in his 50s but i can see him doing this as well except he hates to mop the floors.  Can i hire yours to do our floors? ha ha.

The hospital here kept step son for nearly 12 hours with no food for him either.  He was starving by time he got home and dehydrated as well.

CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Thing that made me a bit upset, he was sitting there begging for food because he was hungry. They said they would bring him something but never did. So, he got left overs. I felt bad and on the way home I kept asking him if he wanted me to get him anything but he said he could wait until we got home.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Awww.  They did not feed him at all while in the hospital?  I would think hunger could cause everything to drop like it did.   My guy is in his 50s but i can see him doing this as well except he hates to mop the floors.  Can i hire yours to do our floors? ha ha.

The hospital here kept step son for nearly 12 hours with no food for him either.  He was starving by time he got home and dehydrated as well.

CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Oh! And yes! You can hire him to mop. He loves doing house work! He's weird lol

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM

And then the stinker snuck out to the store.  I have not been in a hospital for years during meal time so i do not know what protocol is. I would think about reporting the poor treatment of a patient to the hospital board.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

Thing that made me a bit upset, he was sitting there begging for food because he was hungry. They said they would bring him something but never did. So, he got left overs. I felt bad and on the way home I kept asking him if he wanted me to get him anything but he said he could wait until we got home.

Quoting frndlyfn:

terpmama
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I was on bed rarest for a week with my first.... It was miserable! I don't blame him for being antsy, it's not as fun as it sounds. That said, I'd make him cool it too!

CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Though, I'm not sure it was because he wasn't able to sit up to eat because of running a line through a major artery. I will definitely at least ask some questions.

Quoting frndlyfn:

And then the stinker snuck out to the store.  I have not been in a hospital for years during meal time so i do not know what protocol is. I would think about reporting the poor treatment of a patient to the hospital board.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

Quoting frndlyfn:

CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I know it sucks being in the hospital. I was in the hospital for 6 days after having my son. By day 3 I wanted out of there, but I didn't complain much. Those beds weren't soft enough and my butt went numb. Walking around became my best friend! lol But, we are all home now. My boyfriend is happy he is out of the hospital, but he can't seem to sit still. He has always been an active person, so I know he is going insane. I just can't make him realize h he can really hurt himself right now.

Quoting terpmama:

I was on bed rarest for a week with my first.... It was miserable! I don't blame him for being antsy, it's not as fun as it sounds. That said, I'd make him cool it too!

terpmama
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I was home on bed rest (23.5 hours required... I was allowed to stand a TOTAL of 30 minutes a day, including walking to the bathroom). It's hard and I was probably only so compliant because it was my sons safety at stake. Had it just been me... Well...

Quoting CrystalYaris:

I know it sucks being in the hospital. I was in the hospital for 6 days after having my son. By day 3 I wanted out of there, but I didn't complain much. Those beds weren't soft enough and my butt went numb. Walking around became my best friend! lol But, we are all home now. My boyfriend is happy he is out of the hospital, but he can't seem to sit still. He has always been an active person, so I know he is going insane. I just can't make him realize h he can really hurt himself right now.

Quoting terpmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)