Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Rental Question, if anyone could help

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

Not sure if anyone knows or not, but I have looked online all day and couldn't find anything. 

Anyways, my landlord is seperated from her husband and they both currently live out of state and in two different states. This house is in her husbands name and his name only. Anyways, he had it before they even got married. We did not know this moving in. I keep hearing from different sources that HE doesn't know that we are here bc she is suppose to be the one living here. I don't know what's going on, but I don't wanna be here and her husband show up and is like "whoa who are you guys and why are you in my house?", ya know? We have no clue on how to get in touch with her husband or anything. We found all this out when the repair man came over today to fix something for me and he said he almost didn't come bc the landlord hasn't paid him in over a year. So I'm thinking..ok if that's true then how are we suppose to even get anything fixed if she hasn't paid the repair man properly. I just want out of this house. I just feel like something dirty is going on and were going to be the ones that are gonna get screwed in the end. Please help

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Contact your local housing department or courthouse for advice.  How long is the lease for?  I would be getting out ASAP.   I wonder if you just paid utilities what would happen if no rent was paid.

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Hmmmm, have you asked the your landlady about the rumor? You can also do a search for the property & learn who owns the deed. To break the lease you have to show just cause. If it seems shady & he answers are sketchy or shady I would cut & run. It could be the handyman just running off at the mouth.
mama_of_tw0
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM

It's for a year and we just moved in June :( The repair guy was actually telling us that if she doesn't fix stuff like she's suppose to that we could with hold rent, but I don't wanna take that chance ya know. But I'll definately have to give them a call. Thank you.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Contact your local housing department or courthouse for advice.  How long is the lease for?  I would be getting out ASAP.   I wonder if you just paid utilities what would happen if no rent was paid.

mama_of_tw0
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Yeah I did the property search today and sure enough the deed is in the husbands name. And I wanna ask her but I'm affraid it may start drama between us and the last person I wanna start drama with is the person that controls the home I live in lol.

Quoting sunpeaches1:

Hmmmm, have you asked the your landlady about the rumor? You can also do a search for the property & learn who owns the deed. To break the lease you have to show just cause. If it seems shady & he answers are sketchy or shady I would cut & run. It could be the handyman just running off at the mouth.

mommyziegler
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Look him up on facebook
Wills_Wifey
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Just bring it up in an off handed kind of way, like "oh hey, when the repair guy was here he said something really weird..." and go from there. Make it sound like you are on her side and looking out for her. Don't approach it in a accusatory way.

Quoting mama_of_tw0:

Yeah I did the property search today and sure enough the deed is in the husbands name. And I wanna ask her but I'm affraid it may start drama between us and the last person I wanna start drama with is the person that controls the home I live in lol.

Quoting sunpeaches1:

sunpeaches1
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Does the lease state her as OWNER or does it say pay rent to her as propery mgr or another title?

Quoting mama_of_tw0:

Quoting sunpeaches1:

mama_of_tw0
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Good idea thanks. :)

Quoting Wills_Wifey:

Just bring it up in an off handed kind of way, like "oh hey, when the repair guy was here he said something really weird..." and go from there. Make it sound like you are on her side and looking out for her. Don't approach it in a accusatory way.

Quoting mama_of_tw0:

Quoting sunpeaches1:

mama_of_tw0
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Good question, I'm gonna have to look at it again, I can't remember. But I didn't even think about that, thanks.

Quoting sunpeaches1:

Does the lease state her as OWNER or does it say pay rent to her as propery mgr or another title?

Quoting mama_of_tw0:

Quoting sunpeaches1:

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I would contact a lawyer who specializes in housing/property management. This does not sound like it will end well for you! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN