Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it Even Possible?!

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM
  • 64 Replies
1 mom liked this
How can I make my dog stay off of the couches?! He knows better when we're there not to even glance at the couch but once we leave the house or go upstairs to bed, he jumps on the couch. He sheds a lot and I'm just sick of cleaning his hair off the couches every single day. He also licks himself which leaves this nasty white residue all over my couch. I've tried redirecting him by making him lay in his bed but it's just not working. I've seen online to use aluminum foil but I'm terrified he'll eat it. Does anyone have any tips?!
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deputygirls28
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM
What kind of dog do you have? How long have you had the dog?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:26 AM
American Staffordshire Terrier. Got him back in June. He's 2-3 years old. We rescued him.

Quoting deputygirls28:

deputygirls28
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Hmmm....our boarder collie was a little older (maybe about 5) when we got the new couch and we flipped the cushions up when no one was sitting there. She learned really quick what the new rules were but terriers can be hard.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

American Staffordshire Terrier. Got him back in June. He's 2-3 years old. We rescued him.

Quoting deputygirls28:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM
We can't flip our cushions. I've put paper down which worked for a few days. I've stacked my children's toys which works but it's so messy and annoying having to clean those up once I wake up lol. I'm just at a loss.

Quoting deputygirls28:

Hmmm....our boarder collie was a little older (maybe about 5) when we got the new couch and we flipped the cushions up when no one was sitting there. She learned really quick what the new rules were but terriers can be hard.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting deputygirls28:

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I'm watching this one cause my 3 yr old German Shepard started getting on the couches while we are gone. :)
goddiddlyumshis
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Crate him at night? Put a gate up?
There's something you can buy at a pet store that shocks them if they go on furniture, but idk if I'd even do that.
You can soray him with water when you catch him doing it too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Can you put the kitchen chairs on there?  Easier to clean and the dog should learn quickly.

Also reward is better than punishment.  Reward the dog when it lays on its bed.....don't just punish when it jumps on the sofa.

Reward the behavior you want, and you will get it.

.Bad.Wolf.
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

This is probably what I'd do. 

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

There's something you can buy at a pet store that shocks them if they go on furniture, but idk if I'd even do that.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM
He started breaking out of the crate at night. So we just got rid of it. Gate wouldn't work. We have two very wide openings to the living room. Yeah, no shocking lol. I'll try the water.

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Not enough chairs to block both couches. We do reward. I redirect him by making him go to his bed and say good boy and give a treat. He's just stubborn.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Can you put the kitchen chairs on there?  Easier to clean and the dog should learn quickly.

Also reward is better than punishment.  Reward the dog when it lays on its bed.....don't just punish when it jumps on the sofa.

Reward the behavior you want, and you will get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)