Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

OH MY GAWD! MY POOR BOOB!

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 12 Replies
I have mastisis....AGAIN. This will be my third time. Once in my left boob and now twice in my right.
Its due to the blebs this time. ( and my baby has lip tie) He is turning 8 months this month and I so wanted to make it at least year nursing! To make it worse he mainly nurses on one side. And my boobs have never responded well to pumping.

Bottles are not even an option. He refuses. He hates formula. I THINK IM GOING TO DIE!!! I HATE to go on antibiotics...again! I just got off of them a few days ago for a skin infection. So since he has been born I've been on them 3 times. Ugh! I dread calling my doctor now but I have to. The redness is spreading in my breast :(

I need some support and any advice ya got! Thanks!
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM

This is terribly frustrating for you. I hope that the meds help you feel better soon. Is there a med you could stay on, on a very low dose, that will catch the infection before it starts up again? 

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Have you considered getting his lip tie fixed? Also, when my kids showed signs of preference, I kind of did a strike on that side. I would offer the other side only and yeah they got fussy but once they were hungry enough, they took it.
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Btw, I'm sorry you're going through this. Mastitis sucks! Have you tried getting in a hot shower and massaging your boob to try and work the clog out?
xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Have you tried a manual pump vs an electric one? Pumping WHILE he nurses on the other side? Hand expressing? Here are some resources for you:
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/recurrent-mastitis/
http://www.llli.org/faq/repeatmastitis.html
Try the Breastfeeding Moms group too.

Slightly off topic - if you aren't taking probiotics, you should. Pick up some acidophilus, preferably supplements that need to be refridgerated. Antibiotics kill a lot of good bacteria that aid in digestion.
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I've never heard of that. Maybe I will ask my doctor. Thanks!

Quoting Bmat:

This is terribly frustrating for you. I hope that the meds help you feel better soon. Is there a med you could stay on, on a very low dose, that will catch the infection before it starts up again? 

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I asked his doctor and he said to consider it when he is older. I also saw a lactation nurse. She gave me some good tips. He takes the other side now....just not as long. I tried to do a strike and that backfired :/

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Have you considered getting his lip tie fixed? Also, when my kids showed signs of preference, I kind of did a strike on that side. I would offer the other side only and yeah they got fussy but once they were hungry enough, they took it.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM
yep. Last bout of mastisis I bought one. Its impossible to pump while he nurses because of the way he has to lay because of his lip tie...its so frustrating! And the noise makes him stop and want to grab it...lol

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Have you tried a manual pump vs an electric one? Pumping WHILE he nurses on the other side? Hand expressing? Here are some resources for you:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/recurrent-mastitis/

http://www.llli.org/faq/repeatmastitis.html

Try the Breastfeeding Moms group too.

Slightly off topic - if you aren't taking probiotics, you should. Pick up some acidophilus, preferably supplements that need to be refridgerated. Antibiotics kill a lot of good bacteria that aid in digestion.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM
the problem is the bleb on the nipple. Its blocking . Ive been working on softening it

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Btw, I'm sorry you're going through this. Mastitis sucks! Have you tried getting in a hot shower and massaging your boob to try and work the clog out?

Saharra
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Can you massage it while he eats? Or shower and massage to get the milk cleared out? Can you lay down and nurse next to him so you can point his chin in just about any direction?
I feel for you! I remember having horrible bouts of mastitis with my first born :( It's not pleasent! But I can promise that this will pass! Even though it sure doesnt seem like it right now. I remember calling my doc and they would just look at the caller is and answer - "the meds are being called over". Lol.
I had issues because pumping didn't work for me because the horns on the machine were not the right size. Have you looked into that? Mine were too small for me, so I ended up turning myself purple. I remember going in and telling them it wasn't working and they didn't listen. A couple years later- "Oh, look at that... It really doesn't work!"
I only did 6 months with him because it was so painful. And I ended up pumping much if that time because I just couldn't get it.
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I do massage while he eats. With his lip tie he has to lay a specific way on his boppy :/ the problem is my darn nipple! I get blebs which cause back ups in my boob..it sucks! Its weird because I went almost 5 months with no problems like these! Now I have problems every other month

Quoting Saharra:

Can you massage it while he eats? Or shower and massage to get the milk cleared out? Can you lay down and nurse next to him so you can point his chin in just about any direction?

I feel for you! I remember having horrible bouts of mastitis with my first born :( It's not pleasent! But I can promise that this will pass! Even though it sure doesnt seem like it right now. I remember calling my doc and they would just look at the caller is and answer - "the meds are being called over". Lol.

I had issues because pumping didn't work for me because the horns on the machine were not the right size. Have you looked into that? Mine were too small for me, so I ended up turning myself purple. I remember going in and telling them it wasn't working and they didn't listen. A couple years later- "Oh, look at that... It really doesn't work!"

I only did 6 months with him because it was so painful. And I ended up pumping much if that time because I just couldn't get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)