Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Step Grandma names?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 29 Replies
So my XDH and I split and we have 2 kids (ages 3 and 4) and my BF and I have been discussing this. We plan to get married at some point (no rush there) and the kids have met him and his family. His mother babysits the kids sometimes while I'm at work and we've been having difficulty trying to figure out what my kids should call her...So far we've been calling her Miss J*** but they're really quite close with her. This left BF and I wondering what are some names you've heard for step Grandmas? My kids already have a Grandma (my mom) and a Bubbie (XDH's mom). Also on completely random note: my BF's mom and dad aren't together and both have remarried. When we get married, what relation will his step parents have to my kids? Will they be my kid's step-step grandparents? Hmmm...
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM

My step sons called my mother Gram Cracker.

(A play on graham cracker obviously, that made it a little less formal than "grandma")

.Bad.Wolf.
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Step-FIL was Poppy & my Step-mom is Grammy.

My mom is Grandma

MIL is Nana

da_nica
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I like nana... If they dont mind the kids calling them grandma and grandpa and you guys dont either. I dont see why not call them that. .. My kids call my parents grandma and poppa.
kathrynsmomma03
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM
My kids call my step mom grandma sue my dd used to say grandpa sue lol
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM
My kids call my fiances parents by their first names, though they call his mom gummy. Idk why since her name is Amy.

Now his grandma who has always been so excited about my kids and absolutely adores them, they call her grandma. Some of his family has been so great to me and my kids and have always treated us like family so they call them aunt whoever and grandma and such. The rest of his family acts like me and my kids don't exist most of the time so they get first names only.

In all fairness, his family is really weird. We have been together for almost 3 years and in this time I have determined that none of his family is close. They don't do things together like a normal family. And Christmas is kind of ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TotallyWarped
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Quoting da_nica:

I like nana... If they dont mind the kids calling them grandma and grandpa and you guys dont either. I dont see why not call them that. .. My kids call my parents grandma and poppa.
My mom and stepdad are Grandma and Grandpa J*** My dad and his GF are Papa and Miss H****** XDH's mom and dad are Bubbie and Grandpa BF's mom and stepdad are currently Miss J*** and Mr. T** BF's dad and stepmom are currently Mr. C****** and Miss W*****
TotallyWarped
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Quoting Mommy4-27-08:

My kids call my fiances parents by their first names, though they call his mom gummy. Idk why since her name is Amy.

Now his grandma who has always been so excited about my kids and absolutely adores them, they call her grandma. Some of his family has been so great to me and my kids and have always treated us like family so they call them aunt whoever and grandma and such. The rest of his family acts like me and my kids don't exist most of the time so they get first names only.

In all fairness, his family is really weird. We have been together for almost 3 years and in this time I have determined that none of his family is close. They don't do things together like a normal family. And Christmas is kind of ridiculous.
My kids call BF's siblings aunts and uncles. Also some of his cousins are uncles too
Toonkasmommy
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Memaw.
mommysangelface
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM
My mom is memaw

dh mom is grandma cammie

dh grandmother is grandma Judy

my grandmother is grandma Jean

my dad is grandpa

and dh dad is not in our kids lives and barely in dh's life
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My step kids call my mom n dad grandma and grandpa. I dont see any prob with it. They are also older
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)