Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Car seats

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

What do all you ladies think about people with really young kids not using car seats? My daughter is 5 and we still have her in a booster. And it will stay this way when we feel that she doesn't need it anymore. One day taking my dad to one of his appointments, I saw a lady dropping off someone at the same place. As I saw her drove off and I notice she had 3 smalls children about 3 to 4 of age. The little ones were just walking around in the back of her van. I couldn't get the license plate number cause I was trying to memorize it as I was looking for a pen,paper and my phone. I didn't get any of it down nor did I remember the number at all, even though I found a pen and paper I realize I forgot my phone at home. So, what would any of you do if you see other parents not using seat bealts or car seats??

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM
I think they must either be extremely ignorant or not care about their children's safety - or the laws requiring children at least be seated and buckled, if not in a child restraint. In MI they have to be 4'9 or 8 before they can ride without a child seat/booster. It's only a 5-10 dollar fine if you're caught without though o.O

As for what I would do, if I were able I would call it in if I just saw in passing. I am a very non-confrontational person but I have lectured people I've seen doing this. One was just the uncle/babysitter and it wasn't his fault mom refused to leave the car seats knowing he would be driving them around, but it was still his choice to take a 2 and 4yo without seats. He has mild DS so I don't think he really understood what he was risking until I informed him.
mommaJT
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Yeah it's pretty strict here too about seat belts and car seat. You'll just run into some people who don't use them with their children. If they choose not to us the seat belts for them selfs, then they can choose rather to risk getting a ticket for it. But not using car seats for younger children who are clearly not aware of the laws and how important safety is. Is what I find disturbing. And the fact that any of them would put their own kids in harms way is unbelievable.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

I think they must either be extremely ignorant or not care about their children's safety - or the laws requiring children at least be seated and buckled, if not in a child restraint. In MI they have to be 4'9 or 8 before they can ride without a child seat/booster. It's only a 5-10 dollar fine if you're caught without though o.O

As for what I would do, if I were able I would call it in if I just saw in passing. I am a very non-confrontational person but I have lectured people I've seen doing this. One was just the uncle/babysitter and it wasn't his fault mom refused to leave the car seats knowing he would be driving them around, but it was still his choice to take a 2 and 4yo without seats. He has mild DS so I don't think he really understood what he was risking until I informed him.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM

yeah I just think those people do not care about the safety laws or their childs well being.  My step brother has his oldest out of booster already and the 3 yr old in a booster when he is clearly not old enough or heavy enough for a booster.  DD is 7 and she still uses a booster.  We did promote her to a backless booster though.  She has 7 inches to grow before no booster.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I think they're very stupid.
queenrilly
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I think they're crazy because CPS likes taking kids away.

None of us had to deal with this car seat BS when we were kids, and it's really all just a marketing scheme for selling things because we should all know by now that most corporations basically own the government and people who work in government.

And I'm pretty sure if you get in a really bad wreck, a car seat is basically sealing your kids' fate to die, especially an older kid in a 5-point harness. If you're dead or passed out you can't get in the backseat to let the kid out of the seat, so chances are unless help gets there fast, the kid is dead too.
I've actually never heard of anyone being saved by a seatbelt or car seat in real life, but plenty of "I would have died if I wore my seatbelt." And I personally would have died when I was 4 if I was even in the back seat at all, luckily I was sitting on my trusty middle console by my mom when a truck decided to smash the back of the car in. Floorboards are usually the safest which is why when my mom was a baby they had you lie your infant in a wooden crate on the floor of the car (of course feet areas were bigger).

Its basically a choice whether you want to make your own decision or be brainwashed into thinking you're doing the right thing, same as with birth choices and vaccinations.

Honestly if only the westernised countries are doing it, then I would rather not, but because it's one of those things that has been taken away from parents rights and been made law, it looks like my kids will be in car seats until they're 30. Let's be honest, they're Mexican, they'll be lucky to get past the height requirement.
momofnate0707
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I think it is ridiculous when people don't follow the law or properly use carseats. My son is 6yo and still in a harness. He doesn't mind and likes how he is riding like a racecar driver. My 3yo is also harnessed and was rear facing until she was over 2yo. 

da_nica
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM
My five yr old still sits in a booster. If im not mistaken CA chp laws require that kids be in carseats/boosters til they are 8 yrs of age oR
4`8" in height. Thats funny i saw this post right now on my way.home this young girl had like a two yr old in the back buckled up wjth no carseat. Totally irresponsible.
faire_jour
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

AT 5 she should still be in a harness. My daughter was in a booster from 8 until 10.

faire_jour
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

You are an idiot. Europe has carseat standards much higher than the US. We are not the only country doing it. Car fatalities are WAY DOWN because of carseats.

Quoting queenrilly:

None of us had to deal with this car seat BS when we were kids, and it's really all just a marketing scheme for selling things because we should all know by now that most corporations basically own the government and people who work in government.

And I'm pretty sure if you get in a really bad wreck, a car seat is basically sealing your kids' fate to die, especially an older kid in a 5-point harness. If you're dead or passed out you can't get in the backseat to let the kid out of the seat, so chances are unless help gets there fast, the kid is dead too.
I've actually never heard of anyone being saved by a seatbelt or car seat in real life, but plenty of "I would have died if I wore my seatbelt." And I personally would have died when I was 4 if I was even in the back seat at all, luckily I was sitting on my trusty middle console by my mom when a truck decided to smash the back of the car in. Floorboards are usually the safest which is why when my mom was a baby they had you lie your infant in a wooden crate on the floor of the car (of course feet areas were bigger).

Its basically a choice whether you want to make your own decision or be brainwashed into thinking you're doing the right thing, same as with birth choices and vaccinations.

Honestly if only the westernised countries are doing it, then I would rather not, but because it's one of those things that has been taken away from parents rights and been made law, it looks like my kids will be in car seats until they're 30. Let's be honest, they're Mexican, they'll be lucky to get past the height requirement.

faire_jour
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM

You know what, never mind. I fully advocate for you and any of your genetic offspring to take absolutely no safety precautions. Survival of the fittest...

Like somehow your car is going to burt into flames in most accidents...my husband was in a rollover less than a year ago and was abolutely saved by his seatbelt...freakin idiots...

Quoting queenrilly:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)