Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

thinking about going back to school... help... online???

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi everyone. i am thinking of going back to school for something i can do online. I want it to be in the health care field or what i really want is to get educated in IEP and resources of autism spectrum and be a advocate for childrena nd parents with autism and help them through the difficult process. I do not want to be a advocate that sends you to the next one on the list after she gets you the information you need. i want to be a advocate for long term. someone that parents can trust and be their advocat,friend,and everything in between.. anyone know any website that can do that i am a full time worker as well as a full time mom... i can only do online classes

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

who is hiring for that job and what are they looking for?  In my school district that job is filled by someone with experience in education or social work.  They must also have a masters and they do not consider on line degrees from schools without a brick and mortar location a valid degree.  (If you had an online degree from the university of Minnesota, fine.  Phoenix university, not so much)

Liastele
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Before becoming a stay at home mom I worked in HR. I have a lot of HR friends and still network with my old friends from college. All they ever do is bitch about online degrees.

If you can only do online school, please go to school LOCALLY. Start at your community college and take online classes there for social work. When you graduate, your degree with be worth something in your state. Transfer to a 4 year in state program, even if its still online. If you go to the University of As-Seen-On-TV you will have a lot of debt and no marketable skills.

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I agree that you should look at some local colleges and take distant learning classes.

Quoting Liastele:

Before becoming a stay at home mom I worked in HR. I have a lot of HR friends and still network with my old friends from college. All they ever do is bitch about online degrees.

If you can only do online school, please go to school LOCALLY. Start at your community college and take online classes there for social work. When you graduate, your degree with be worth something in your state. Transfer to a 4 year in state program, even if its still online. If you go to the University of As-Seen-On-TV you will have a lot of debt and no marketable skills.

curiousone123
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM

i am doing online college work now. I chose to look for Brick and Mortar schools that had online learning options and then from those i looked into accreditation. After i had a list of those i narrowed it down to being able to complete my entire degree online and cost. I settled on Fort Hays State University for my Bachelors in Business Management with a concentration in Human Resources. As of now i am focused on my basic classes and the last two years should be mostly my degree specific course work. I take a full load, all online, and can still manage my at home duties. I do not work but even with a full course load i think i could manage it. The professors are responsive, the course work is the same as if you were in the school, and student interaction is not mandatory. With that said, don't think it will be easier to do than if you were in the classroom. I have found that if you do not manage your time perfectly you will fail. I have been able to maintain an A average so far but its thanks to my handy dandy notebook with all of the course assignments outlines every day. there are no teachers to guide you. they give you when your assignments are due the first day of class and you better make sure you read enough to get it all done on time.The books for this semester alone were a little over 800 dollars and the fees for the semester were about 2700.00. they have payment options, pay with credit card, and the FAFSA student loans and grants. I did take out loans but the college is so affordable compared to so many others that i will have them paid back within the first two years. If you have any specific questions feel free to quote me here. Ill be buzzing by the computer while i do some housework so i shouldn't be too long with the response. Here is the link to the school web page. make sure you go to online learners area when you are looking at the degrees. www.fhsu.edu

curiousone123
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM

also ...social work may be a better field than health care if you are looking into helping people become educated about autism and find resources. You may want to find a hand full of people that do that and ask them what education background they have.

Germany72
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Do not go to University of Phoenix. You will be broke, paying back student loans until you retire and it will take you years to complete, since they only give you one class at a time. I already have an Associates degree and planned on going to UoP for my bachelors...only needed 60 some more credits..after i got my financial plan with them I canceled my admission procedures really fast !!! $51.000 and 3.75 years !!!

WorkAtHomeMom10
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 3:52 AM

http://referral.careerstep.com/ref21661

cleigh717
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 4:02 AM
I go to post universiy online. I chose them mostly bc they have a good reputation, are a brick and mortar school in Connecticut, and offer free tutoring (200 hrs I thinking? I havent needed to use it yet)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN