Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old for an iPhone?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
  • 57 Replies

My daughter wants an iPhone but I think she's too young.  She's 9 and says all of her friends have them.

She wants to know if she can have one when she turns 10.  I still think that's kind of young. 

When do you think a kid should be allowed to get an iphone?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM

really when they can get it on their own.  We do not even have one in our household so it is a non issue for our dd.  When she sees grandma she will play with hers but gets bored quickly.

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids can have a basic cell phone when they are 13, but no iphone or any other smart phone until they pay for it themselves. No way in heck would I give a ten year old an iphone. Especially if the only reason they can come up with is "all of my friends have one."

dingysfamily
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM

IMO she is way to young.

Cassidysmom611
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM

For our family our children won't be getting any type of cell phone until they enter High School. Honestly, I will get them whatever phone is on "sale" at the time. If it's an iphone than so be it. 

MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM
My 10 year old has one BUT it was $.99 (iPhone 4), her having a smartphone only affected our phone bill $10/month, and she has an Apple laptop through the school so it's nice for her phone and laptop to work together.
Grasshopper2014
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
If you have to have a phone for your child I would recommend a prepaid basic call phone. I think access to the internet in the palm of a child's hand is frightening.

nicole.mazer
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM

My girls are 15 and 13 and each got their iPhones for their 13th birthday. I think that's a good age :)

nikkixo92
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM
My parents bought my 12 year old sister one when she was about 10 1/2-11. HORRIBLE idea. Too much drama is passed though the phone.
Billsbabygirl
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Right now my kids only have iPods. However the next time my daughter has to go to her biodads, we are buying her an iPhone. Probably a 99 cent one because she already knows how to work it. They don't let her text or call us from their phones so we will buy her her own. She's seven.

**** she goes to her dads six weeks a year in two week intervals. She hates going and he makes her cry that he won't let her call ****.
MaddieLainesMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM

My DD is already begging for a phone and she is 6! I think I will get her a phone when it becomes a necessity (she has after school activities, takes public transportation, begins to spend extended time with her dad, etc.). I'd like to get her a basic phone (without the data plan), but it's becoming difficult to find that. If it's an option she'll have a basic phone until she's able to pay for the data herself. If not, she'll have the most basic plan until she can pay for the data portion herself. I'd hate for my 10 year old to have unlimited access to the internet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)