Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need opinions! Please weigh in

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

This is the thing. I have a hot air popcorn popper,. very old but has always worked great. Since it doesn't require oil, I have always just wiped it out with a damp cloth. Over a month ago, lacking regular popcorn, I tried to pop microwave popcorn in it, sadly, the kettle corn variety. BIG MISTAKE.  The  non removable cup inside the popper was coated with the thick flavoring grease. I tried to wipe it out, but it didn't work, so I washed the popper, not immersing the machine, but running water into the cup part. A little wanter came out the bottom as well. I did not get the cord wet. I shook it really well and left it to dry. This was over a month ago, and I am afraid to plug it in again! I have not used it since then. Please let me know if you think getting water inside it made it unsafe to use?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Should be safe as long as it's given plenty of time to dry out. It could have corroded parts that weren't meant to be wet, so it may not work, but it's probably fine.
xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM
BTW, a good way to cut grease without soaking is to make a thick paste from baking soda and scrub the stuff away. If you didn't get it all off, try that.
susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

BTW, a good way to cut grease without soaking is to make a thick paste from baking soda and scrub the stuff away. If you didn't get it all off, try that.

Thanx! Actually I did get all the grease out, with the soap and water, but then was afraid over the water getting in it. i wish I had known that cleaning trick before!
RADmomma
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM
It's should be fine
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN