Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My son constantly sucks on his shirt collar in class...

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 3 Replies
My son is in kindergarten and is one of the few in his class that are on the young side ( he turns 5 on the 28th and the cutoff is the 30th). Anyway he has been sucking on his shirt collar since not long after the start of school. The teacher has recently brought it up in email of his concern for my son for not only that behavior but for not asking the teacher for help and not doing his work in school from time to time. The teacher has asked for my help in getting my son to stop the behavior, but I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions for me getting my son to stop sucking on his clothes during the day. I am at a loss.
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Osstie
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM
My son did that REALLY bad last year in 1st grade. He would chew though. I'd pick him up and the front on his shirt would be drenched and shredded. It was frustrating. I just reminded him not to do it when I caught him, and he grew out of it.
curiousone123
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:56 PM

He is young and a boy ( they have more issues in school at that age than girls ) so this may very well be something he will simply have to grow out of. I had a kid in my class that did that...poor guy would have a soaked t-shirt by the end of the day and it smelled funny because it was dried and re-wet so many times. Is it possible for you to take him out of Kindergarten and try again next year?

KendallsMommee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:59 PM
My dd did that the first few months of K. She just stopped one day around November /December.

I think it was just a nervous habit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)