Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Disney discontinues disabled lines- because rich moms abused it.

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM
  • 87 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2013/09/disney_discontinues_disabled_l.php

I am just so sad about this! Having a brother on the autism spectrum (with severe anxiety and frequent panic attacks) it breaks my heart that those children and their families won't be able to enjoy themselves at Disney. Basically these sick women cheated the system to get their bratty kids to the front of the lines faster. It's really sickening. And before someone says it's not fair for disabled children to skip to the front of the lines anyways, well it's also not fair that they can't do the things typical children can. I'm just so frustrated over this!

In the least shocking news in the history of everything, rich and entitled people have ruined something pretty important for others.

Thanks to this report about rich moms who hired guides to pretend they were disabled so their spoiled children could skip lines at Disney World, the theme park is discontinuing line skipping for the disabled at both its Orlando and Anaheim parks.

See also: Rich Moms Hire "Disabled" Guides at Disney World So Their Kids Don't Have to Wait in Line

The new changes will take effect October 9. From that point on, visitors will be given a ticket with a return time for a shorter wait -- which is pretty much exactly how a FastPass ticket works.

The ticket has a scheduled time for the person to come back to the ride, as opposed to being able to skip to the front because they're disabled.

The other option is for them to get back-door access to a ride or through the exit to wait.

Either way, there will be waiting for disabled people, thanks to rich assholes abusing the system.

The current way "certainly has been problematic, and we wanted to curb some of the abuse of this system," Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown told the Orange County Register.

The report, which was published by the New York Times, gave us a glimpse of the entitled rich moms visiting Disney World.

The didn't want their precious pampered tykes to wait in long lines for rides like everyone else, so they hired themselves people to get into a wheelchair and pretend they're part of the family to allow them to cut to the head of the line.

Disney World had allowed disabled guests to bring with them up to six others from their party through a disabled line to avoid having to wait.

According to the report, one of the rich moms boasted, "My daughter waited one minute to get on 'It's a Small World' -- the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours."

She then added, "You can't go to Disney without a tour concierge. This is how the 1 percent does Disney.

"Who wants a speed pass when you can use your black-market handicapped guide to circumvent the lines altogether?" the mom told the Post.

It's bad enough that this deplorable person actually exists in real life. But then you look at the real damage and it's heartbreaking.

Consider this example of a mom who takes her autistic children to the park every week:

Rebecca Goddard takes her sons, age 4 and 6, to Disneyland once a week. Her sons have autism and can't stand in lines longer than a few minutes before they start pushing other people.

"My boys don't have the cognition to understand why it's going to be a long wait," Goddard told the Register. "There are so few things for my boys that bring them utter joy and happiness -- to mess with it just makes me sad."

So because Madam Moneybags McGee's rotten kids couldn't be bothered to wait in line like every one else, the Goddard children, and thousands like them, will have to suffer for it.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4littlewheelers
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM

BUMP!

ZsMommy
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't really see the need for it anyway. They can get free fast pass lines and if that still causes problems maybe Disney isn't a place suited for them.
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Very sad to hear.
MidwestMama55
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

New programs sounds fair to me. There was/is far more abuse than just the "rich families" (small percentage of the abuse, just saying.)

RADmomma
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

i agree. the new program sounds fair

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I don't really see the need for it anyway. They can get free fast pass lines and if that still causes problems maybe Disney isn't a place suited for them.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM

the new system may work better ...people will just have to see

susannah2000
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:11 AM
10 moms liked this

No kids " HAVE TO SUFFER" by waiting in line at Disneyland. They don't HAVE to be there, and if they can't handle waiting in line like everyone else, they shouldn't be there. Why would parents being special needs kids to an amusement park with zillions of people if they know the kids can't handle it?  it's not fair to let them jump in front of the lines just so they can get on the rides faster.  I am noticing no one is talking about the fact that the RIDES can also be overwhelming or scary.. That doesn't seem to matter.  Sadly, parents ARE acting like the world should revolve around heir special needs children.

Rampgirl04
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Just this past early August my darling fiance and I went to Disney World for a couple of days and then off to other Florida destinations. But, as far as Disney World goes we had alot of fun despite the long lines. As far as the new rule Disney is putting in, I can't say I fully agree with it and only because it's not only the disabled that are skipping the lines. The reason I say this is because Disney has what's called the Fast Pass in place. How the Fast Pass works is anybody can get it first of all and all they have to do is walk up to a kiosk, put their Disney ticket(card) in the machine, the machine will then print out a certain time to use the fast pass at the attraction desired or picked out and the person printing it out has to get back to that attraction during a certain time and basically whoever has that can skip through the whole line. Yes myself and my fiance took full advantage of that but didn't use that option all the time while we were there. So with this point said I'm going to say that the disabled should NOT be the only ones targeted to follow this rule and personally him and I both agree they need to do away with the Fast Pass and go back to the old way of things and that is all must wait in line and no one gets the chance to skip through a line. Plus in our opinion it definetly slows the regular line up even more.  We could've swore that for example every 25 fast pass visitors were going through to every maybe 10 at a time the regular line was walking. I think the lines would move much faster if they weren't stopping the people who didn't have this pass to wait up for people who had the fast pass ticket in their hands. So it's NOT only the DISABLED that are getting special treatment believe me.

The CEO's have more to worry about than the disablied supposibly making people mad. Heck the prices are getting outrageous by far to even visit and they are almost making it to the point where it's only going to be a playground for the Filthy rich. Scr*w that. If they push it too far they are going to make us common folk even angrier. Sadly I think Walt Disney would be turning in his grave with Disgust if he saw what was happening to a place that he started for all to experience smh!

I want to give you one last example of why I support especially the Disabled getting some extra special privilages and that is they cannot help what their disability is and also I saw something that instead of it making me mad made me feel very grateful that I don't have some physically disabiling disabilities that some have and I can walk. There was a Make A wish Family for one incident I saw get to the front of the line to ride It's a Small World. I actually felt a sense of sadness for that family as It was a child in a wheel chair they wheeled on the It's a Small World Boat ride who was obviously very very sick and just from what we could visually see that child will probably not make it another year. I saw so many sad things like that and you know what I have no problem with a disabled person going before me. Now do I think the system gets abused by some.... Well, Yes absolutely but it's the people who truly don't need a wheel chair and are too lazy to have their kids or even themselves walk the park. I think if they are going to claim they are disabled to get a wheel chair they should have to show a Dr's excuse and paper saying that yes indeed they need a wheelchair for their disability. There are ways this can be solved. But again the legitimately disabled people shouldn't get treated like this when theres so many changes that could be made.

So with that said, I'm glad OP that you even made this post. I'm not able to go under Mom Confessions to post my thoughts so I appreciate you posting this for some of us like me who can't go in there to beable to share my thoughts in a different group. Ty!

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for posting your thoughts.

I agree that it seems that the fastpasses slow down the other lines. And the fastpasses are inconvenient in that you have to get to the attraction to get the fastpass, then come back another time- this can be a lot of walking. On the other hand,  it is nice to be able to see that all fastpasses are used up or only for very late in the day, and the wait time is an hour, then you know that this attraction isn't one you'll get to see.

In the original article it was mentioned a 2 1/2 hour wait. I really can't imagine being willing to wait that long. And Small World typically, whenever we have been there, is walk on, or close to it. - 2 1/2 hours doesn't seem right, I wonder if there was some exaggeration there. I only go to Disneyworld, so maybe it is different at Anaheim.

The last time I was in Disneyworld, about a year and a half ago, they had pretty much discontinued the no-wait for the disabled anyway.  If a ride was wheel chair accessible, then the person had to wait in line with everyone else.

Quoting Rampgirl04:

Just this past early August my darling fiance and I went to Disney World for a couple of days and then off to other Florida destinations. But, as far as Disney World goes we had alot of fun despite the long lines. As far as the new rule Disney is putting in, I can't say I fully agree with it and only because it's not only the disabled that are skipping the lines. The reason I say this is because Disney has what's called the Fast Pass in place. How the Fast Pass works is anybody can get it first of all and all they have to do is walk up to a kiosk, put their Disney ticket(card) in the machine, the machine will then print out a certain time to use the fast pass at the attraction desired or picked out and the person printing it out has to get back to that attraction during a certain time and basically whoever has that can skip through the whole line. Yes myself and my fiance took full advantage of that but didn't use that option all the time while we were there. So with this point said I'm going to say that the disabled should NOT be the only ones targeted to follow this rule and personally him and I both agree they need to do away with the Fast Pass and go back to the old way of things and that is all must wait in line and no one gets the chance to skip through a line. Plus in our opinion it definetly slows the regular line up even more.  We could've swore that for example every 25 fast pass visitors were going through to every maybe 10 at a time the regular line was walking. I think the lines would move much faster if they weren't stopping the people who didn't have this pass to wait up for people who had the fast pass ticket in their hands. So it's NOT only the DISABLED that are getting special treatment believe me.

The CEO's have more to worry about than the disablied supposibly making people mad. Heck the prices are getting outrageous by far to even visit and they are almost making it to the point where it's only going to be a playground for the Filthy rich. Scr*w that. If they push it too far they are going to make us common folk even angrier. Sadly I think Walt Disney would be turning in his grave with Disgust if he saw what was happening to a place that he started for all to experience smh!

I want to give you one last example of why I support especially the Disabled getting some extra special privilages and that is they cannot help what their disability is and also I saw something that instead of it making me mad made me feel very grateful that I don't have some physically disabiling disabilities that some have and I can walk. There was a Make A wish Family for one incident I saw get to the front of the line to ride It's a Small World. I actually felt a sense of sadness for that family as It was a child in a wheel chair they wheeled on the It's a Small World Boat ride who was obviously very very sick and just from what we could visually see that child will probably not make it another year. I saw so many sad things like that and you know what I have no problem with a disabled person going before me. Now do I think the system gets abused by some.... Well, Yes absolutely but it's the people who truly don't need a wheel chair and are too lazy to have their kids or even themselves walk the park. I think if they are going to claim they are disabled to get a wheel chair they should have to show a Dr's excuse and paper saying that yes indeed they need a wheelchair for their disability. There are ways this can be solved. But again the legitimately disabled people shouldn't get treated like this when theres so many changes that could be made.

So with that said, I'm glad OP that you even made this post. I'm not able to go under Mom Confessions to post my thoughts so I appreciate you posting this for some of us like me who can't go in there to beable to share my thoughts in a different group. Ty!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)