Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you punish your child for having accidents?!

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this
My ex does that to our 4 year.old daughter, sends her to bed right after school and doesnt get her up til right before dinner,which sometimes doesnt end up being til 8 or 9... he has custody of our kids for now since hes with momand dad and i was homeless so i was considered "unstable"... she used to be so bubbly and fun, now its like shes withdrawn and no longer there or even cares... shes only 4!!!
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM

No we never punish for accidents even when she comes home with the rare clothes change. DD is 7 and was a late trainer (after age 4).

GreenDotsOrange
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Poor girl doesn't even have time to play :-( Ds is almost 4 and a lot of times he doesn't want to stop what he is doing to go pee. Earlier he was playing and peed on our bed. It is hard not to get frustrated and upset sometimes but I would never punish like that! We remind him if he needs to pee to go in the potty. When he is out playin with other kids he pees his pants a lot. I think it is still normal at this age as they get distracted easily. I feel very sorry for your daughter.
LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM

OMG! That poor baby. She's depresed. I hope you get the help you need to get your kids back.

susannah2000
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Dinner at 8 or 9 for a 4 year old? They should have eaten  and be in bed by then. Accidents are also a sign of trauma and stress. Your husband sounds like a real tool, who does not know how to properly care for the child.

susannah2000
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:03 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

Poor girl doesn't even have time to play :-( Ds is almost 4 and a lot of times he doesn't want to stop what he is doing to go pee. Earlier he was playing and peed on our bed. It is hard not to get frustrated and upset sometimes but I would never punish like that! We remind him if he needs to pee to go in the potty. When he is out playin with other kids he pees his pants a lot. I think it is still normal at this age as they get distracted easily. I feel very sorry for your daughter.

it wouldn't be okay with me if he wet on my bed because he didn't feel like getting up and going to the bathroom. I don't see why you are coddling him, instead of expecting him to go to the bathroom,at 4 years old. If he has no incentive to do it, or consequences for not doing it, why should he?

laam
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:08 AM

MY husband does sometimes but I always get mad at him in the other room for it. My son is 4 so accidents don't happen very often so when the do I have to remind my husband that it's not a big deal.

blueeyedmama34
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Thanks for the input, there are several other things going on that im concerned about...hes always used his anger as a weapon to gain respect and control, hes still managed to keep me hooked as far as wanting to get some custody, but not wanting to make "waves" with him and his family.Hes living with his parents, which is no big deal, but hasn't worked on over a year, as least,I pray hard for him and pray that God will help me to view my ex the same way he does, as a lost, broken child... prayers apreciated for anyone who prays!!
border7305
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Quoting blueeyedmama34:My ex does that to our 4 year.old daughter, sends her to bed right after school and doesnt get her up til right before dinner,which sometimes doesnt end up being til 8 or 9... he has custody of our kids for now since hes with momand dad and i was homeless so i was considered "unstable"... she used to be so bubbly and fun, now its like shes withdrawn and no longer there or even cares... shes only 4!!!
NO.. I'm sorry you don't have your LOs with you.. It all most sounds like she is having her Accidents do to your EX.. He sounds like the unfit one!! Big Huggies and Lov to You and Your LOs.. Kim
RADmomma
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM

She is probably having accidents partly do to his punishment.

thats horrible. We never ever punished for accidents.... because they are ACCIDENTS....

JasonsMom2007
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Only when she was trained then went through a period of peeling on the floor on purpose. She would smile, look down, spread her legs, and pee. But nothing as bad as hours on her bed!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)