Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What to do when leaving a rental?**update**

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 17 Replies
My lease is up the end of this month. When we dropped off rent, I also gave my written notice that I was not renewing my lease(they only require 30 days notice).

I have been calling since last week, trying to get someone to come out and look through the house, and let us know what all they need done before we leave the property because we want our security deposit back. The house is owned by my sis, so we have made some modifications to the property....with my sister's full knowledge, along with her bankrolling everything. I just don't want to get screwed over by this company, but nobody is calling me back!

What are "normal" things that are required when you leave a property?

****update****
Well, after 6 calls over 3 days that the property management company never bothered to return, I got my sister involved. Lol. Yes, I call my sis to take care of it(it's is HER house). They tried to hem and haw around WHY they never called me back; and told her they would try to call me today(Thursday), and set up a walk through next week. She let them know that was completely unacceptable, considering that I have to be out of the house by Tuesday; so they would be calling me last night and setting something up for today. So, someone is coming out this afternoon to walk through. Lol
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SareyF
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Clean everything. I mean, everything! Even places you might not think to check. You may or may not want to fill holes in walls, paint, etc. Make sure everything is in working order as when you got there. Always take pictures of the condition of a place when you move in and out.
SpnFulOfSugar
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Make sure everything is clean and in working order. Someone should do a final wall through with you before you hand over the keys.
JenB1983
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM
We've already filled all holes, plan on starting to do touch up painting tonight. We have one mini blind to replace that we know of. My BIG concern is the fact that s/o and I replaced the bathroom vanity on our own dime, because the current one was just huge(tiny bathroom) and falling apart due to water damage. However, when we removed the big one and replaced it with a smaller one, it was discovered that there is a small gap in the floor. Yes, I'm aware of how ghetto the house sounds. But anyhow, while it's small, it is obvious. We talked to my sis, and since we originally planned on staying put, replacing the bathroom floor(eventually) was on the laundry list of shit to do, so it never got fixed.

Quoting SareyF:

Clean everything. I mean, everything! Even places you might not think to check. You may or may not want to fill holes in walls, paint, etc. Make sure everything is in working order as when you got there. Always take pictures of the condition of a place when you move in and out.

JenB1983
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I can't get anyone from the office to of even call me back. The poor receptionist sounds exasperated by me calling twice a day...."you STILL haven't gotten a return call?"

We are so busy trying to move everything that I've been trying to avoid going into the office....especially since he's "out" every time I call. I don't want to waste the hour of time driving there for nothing.

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

Make sure everything is clean and in working order. Someone should do a final wall through with you before you hand over the keys.

flprincessmom
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Clean everything, fill holes in walls, don't leave anything behind, vacuum carpets, maybe shampoo them, sweep n wash floors....leave everything in same condition it was in when you moved in....take pictures n video of everything...
JenB1983
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Score one for hardwood and linoleum! Lol

Quoting flprincessmom:

Clean everything, fill holes in walls, don't leave anything behind, vacuum carpets, maybe shampoo them, sweep n wash floors....leave everything in same condition it was in when you moved in....take pictures n video of everything...

SareyF
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM
If it were a regular company you were renting from, they would likely expect you to fix it or not give your deposit back. Because it's your sister though, I really don't know.

Quoting JenB1983:

We've already filled all holes, plan on starting to do touch up painting tonight. We have one mini blind to replace that we know of. My BIG concern is the fact that s/o and I replaced the bathroom vanity on our own dime, because the current one was just huge(tiny bathroom) and falling apart due to water damage. However, when we removed the big one and replaced it with a smaller one, it was discovered that there is a small gap in the floor. Yes, I'm aware of how ghetto the house sounds. But anyhow, while it's small, it is obvious. We talked to my sis, and since we originally planned on staying put, replacing the bathroom floor(eventually) was on the laundry list of shit to do, so it never got fixed.

Quoting SareyF:

franmarden
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Not sure of the laws in your state but, generally, if you add something to the home that changes the appearance, it becomes the property of the owner.  Therefore, you do not have the right to remove the vanity.  Check the laws in your state, though, it could be different there.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Refuse to return the keys until you get a walk through. As a landlord I would find that totally understandable.

Quoting JenB1983:

I can't get anyone from the office to of even call me back. The poor receptionist sounds exasperated by me calling twice a day...."you STILL haven't gotten a return call?"

We are so busy trying to move everything that I've been trying to avoid going into the office....especially since he's "out" every time I call. I don't want to waste the hour of time driving there for nothing.

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

JenB1983
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
We weren't planning on taking the vanity. However, considering that we had to replace the one that came with the house(it wasn't safe, completely unstable and rotting); which is how the issue was discovered....... It doesn't seem as though that should be our responsibility to fix. The whole bathroom floor needs replaced(unfortunately the house has been sorely neglected since my sister left and started renting it out); so even she said to hold off on patching it as long as we weren't bothered by it. She didn't just want yet another band aid put on a problem.

She wanted s/o to replace the floor this winter, but then we got offered a better(cheaper and larger) house, so we are letting the lease expire.

Quoting franmarden:

Not sure of the laws in your state but, generally, if you add something to the home that changes the appearance, it becomes the property of the owner.  Therefore, you do not have the right to remove the vanity.  Check the laws in your state, though, it could be different there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)