Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

questions to mom's who've taken their kiddos to get an alllergy test

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 29 Replies
My son is 4 years old and he's been having hives and swelling for a while now. We decided to make an appointment for him to see and allergist and I was told it would last a few hours. I was also told it would be painful. My son doesn't like needles and even when we take him in to get shots he becomes very upset and difficult to handle. I just wanted some advice, if there is any, on how I can make the appointmet not as difficult for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AromaDrops33
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM
There are no needles involved. Its a skin prick test so all they will do is prick his back with a pointy plastic thing that has the allergens on it. It will not hurt, it may feel uncomfortable and feel like a tiny pinch. It will get extremely itchy, that's the only part my son had a problem with
krazymom2boyz
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM
My son is a complete baby when out comes to stuff at the dr. It's actually kind of funny in an annoying way. He had to go for allergy testing for hives as well, and after they did the first "prick" he looked at me and said "is that all!". He didn't have a problem with any of the rest of it.
MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump.
I am.taking DD next month and was wondering myself!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Our experience was not so good. Dd was 3. She screamed through the whole thing and we had a hell of a time keeping her from touching her back during the wait time. But what really made it bad was the results came back all negative, which even the allergist knew wasn't correct. Apparently that's common with little ones, they're not always accurate. So what was the point of torturing her then?!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I haven't taken my kids, but I have had the test done personally. 

This is the process I had to endure: laid down on the table on my belly, sanitized my back, took a roller with small needles on it & ran it down my back ( total of 44 needles) and I laid there for a long time- no moving, no scratching, just itching like mad. You don't see the needles and it does not hurt as the needles are so small. Then, the nurse came in and swabbed my back, then wrote numbers on my left arm, and injected me again with 9 different items that were the worst on my back. I had to wait another 30-45 minutes before the results and after that I spoke with my allergist and was immediately put on an injection schedule. I started off with 4 shots per week, down to 2 shots per week, to every 2 weeks, and now I get 2 shots every 3 weeks and will continue for another 4 years. 

I don't know the process for children so I know I wasn't much help. I hope it goes well for you. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

shajdinyak
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Our pediatric allergist was awesome, hopefully u are going to a peditric one. No needles just scratch. They showed her and let her touch. She was a year and a half old. Cried a bit but not too much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccab1966
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I think it depends on how big the screening the allergist wants to do.  My son was 11 and had a severe allergic reaction to peanut butter one day, and he had eaten peanuts his entire life, so maybe that's why his panel was so huge.  He had something like 95 "pop shots" (skin pricks) on his back in 4 different rows.  He did pretty well til they got to his lower back, because they were a little more painful.  The ones that reacted (the pin prick swells up and turns red) had to get a bigger injection of the allergen with a real needle, and they weren't fun, I had to sit on him pretty much.  I really don't want to scare you, because the allergy shots have truly changed my son's life.  We didn't reall know how sick the poor kid was because he had so many triggers, he'd get pneumonia every year, he always felt exchausted.  He is SO much healthier and happier now, and we've been doing them for 4 years now.  It was absolutely worth it!

-JellyfishEgg-
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I was told they were tiny needles and that they would feel like pin pricks. How old was your son? Did you take anything for him to do during the wait time?

Quoting AromaDrops33:

There are no needles involved. Its a skin prick test so all they will do is prick his back with a pointy plastic thing that has the allergens on it. It will not hurt, it may feel uncomfortable and feel like a tiny pinch. It will get extremely itchy, that's the only part my son had a problem with
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I haven't taken my kids for an allergy test, but I remember mine. It's a little prickly and a little itchy, but nothing like a vaccine. He'll be on his stomach (or I was), they'll put this plastic device on his back, the points only go into the outer layer of the skin, it won't even cause him to bleed. 

They have websites that explain how the procedure is done.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM
I had an allergy test. Tested about 20 different things. It was a scratch test on my back. No needles. They just scratch a little of your skin and apply possible allergins. Also some can be tested by blood such as peanuts
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN