Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it tacky to put your kids in used clothes?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 185 Replies
1 mom liked this

I overheard these women in the carpool lane at the kids' school badmouthing a child there. They didn't say the child's name (and the kids weren't out of class yet to hear) but said, "That poor girl is always wearing used clothes and it's just so tacky!"

Do you agree that used clothes are tacky, or do you think these moms are just weird/rude?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamacam7
by Christina on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM

rude

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Those moms are weird. I grew up wearing second hand clothes and my son wears second hand clothes.
Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM
8 moms liked this

How do they know her clothes are used?  Were they there when her mother bought them?

TnGsMomma
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

No, most all of the clothes my kids wear are from a local second-hand kids store.  The clothes are in great shape and 75% off of what you could buy them for at the department store. 

Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
4 moms liked this

And no, I dont think its tacky.....my 16 year old daughter and I have "tag poppin'" weekends where we hit consignment stores.  The stuff is clean, high end, and some of it is brand new.

This weekend they are having an end of season "everything in a bag for $10" sale.  Damn right we will be there.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Wow...what bitches! How in the world would they know if the clothes were used or not? Both of my kids' wardrobes are mostly hand-me-downs...you would never know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM
No. I don't think it's tacky. Wth is wrong with people. We garage sale, go to thrift stores, etc. My kids have new stuff but when I'm on one of my thrifty binges (I'm a garage saling thrift store addict) and I see something I know they would love to have I buy it for them used our not. I've gotten some clothes for them at these places that are normally 40-60 bux in a store. I paid 5 bux. Got my youngest son a brand new condition OU Jersey that is 25 in store. I got it for 2 bux. Perfect condition.

They are tacky for being so cruel.
momcat437
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

With the economy the way it is, almost everyone I knows shops at Goodwill--it's the most popular place in town--I think it's a matter of being smart with your money.  There will always be those who look down their noses at others, no matter what they do--to each his own, I say...

mommy0927
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Very rude! My kids wear used clothes.I get name brand cheap also.and the clothes are nice looking when I buy them, then just wash them before wear them.nobody would even know they was used unless I told them.alot of people can't afford $15 for a shirt for a 6 year old just cause its name brand.I can get 5 shirts for the price of that one with it being name brand.
hplesha
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Who cares where your clothes come from. Sometimes it's the only way some people can afford clothes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)