Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it tacky to put your kids in used clothes?

Posted by   + Show Post

I overheard these women in the carpool lane at the kids' school badmouthing a child there. They didn't say the child's name (and the kids weren't out of class yet to hear) but said, "That poor girl is always wearing used clothes and it's just so tacky!"

Do you agree that used clothes are tacky, or do you think these moms are just weird/rude?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
RADmomma
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

we LOVE to search the thrift stores for good deals.

MY bff has 4 girls... two bigger than dd and 2 smaller... we cycle clothes back and forth depending on which kid can fit each otufit at the right season. it saves us a ton of money.

JleeB
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Send them to a third world country on a mission and see if they come back saying the same thing. Snobs.
Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I look down on people who are stupid enough to pay full price for the same exact shit I buy for 90% off.

My kids always get complimented on their clothes, as do I.  When I tell people they are all from consignment stores they flip out.

My kids and I have a mantra:

"Full price is for suckers."

Quoting momcat437:

With the economy the way it is, almost everyone I knows shops at Goodwill--it's the most popular place in town--I think it's a matter of being smart with your money.  There will always be those who look down their noses at others, no matter what they do--to each his own, I say...

Lottie925
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM

It's not only NOT tacky! It's environmentally friendly, and easier o nthe wallet. I buy plenty of clothes for my kids, but I also use hand me downs and on occasion I buy from consigment. If I'm dropping off stuff to consign, I will often look around. The other day I got a beautiful condition gap sweater for my toddler son that would have been $45... for $6! It needs to be in good condition, but it's silly to view clothes as things you wear a few times and THROW AWAY!  Some of the hand me downs I have gotten are, hanna anderson, talbots kids, gap kids, nordstrom etc.! I LOVE THEM! Or sports clothing that I don't want to buy, like Tom Brady shirts, Red Sox stuff.

Chirinos
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
They are being rude. I get most of my boys clothes at garage sales because I can't afford to buy brand new clothes all the time. I do buy new clothes occasionally like for their bday and xmas.
cowboygal
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM
My kids have a lot of clothes from second hand stores. My dd got two pairs of almost new jeans for 75 cents. She is 8. So when she calls at school and rips a hole in the knee I will not care that much. My kids are rough on clothes because they play hard. My son is always in a tree. I like the fact that I can spend less and spend more come Dec and Jan when they might need more clothes and they are not outside much.
nelliesmommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this
No. They are tacky for talking shit about a child.
celticgodess
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM

What?!  My kids have way more used clothes than new!  Guess I'm tacky.  Hand me downs, thrift stores, and garage sales are my best friends.  That is the crazest thing I've ever heard.  The saddest part is that they will probably raise rude, tacky, ignorant children to be just like them.  They are wrong anyway, but  who talks about children that way?

onethentwins
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

rude.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Rude! I love thrift stores and yard sales, especially for kid clothes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)