Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it tacky to put your kids in used clothes?

Posted by   + Show Post

I overheard these women in the carpool lane at the kids' school badmouthing a child there. They didn't say the child's name (and the kids weren't out of class yet to hear) but said, "That poor girl is always wearing used clothes and it's just so tacky!"

Do you agree that used clothes are tacky, or do you think these moms are just weird/rude?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
hello_kitty25
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM
So rude! they probably put their kids in second hand clothes and are trying to play it off like they are Kim Kardashian. Bitches
megz0511
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM
How horrible for other mom's to talk like that. I would love to hear someone say that about my ds. The only new clothes he gets are from my mom or MIL. Everything in his closet right now are hand me downs, I couldn't live without them. I am grateful to the family that gives me all their hand me downs, ds would never be wearing the stuff like he is if it wasn't for them
Mommylovesdada
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Heck no! My kids get tons of hand me downs and thrift clothes! Ds gets mostly new stuff because its harder to find second hand for him. But he's 9 and doesn't grow out of clothes as fast. My girls, though, even if they get new clothes its clearance. I can't justify spending lots on things they grow out of quickly.
berespectful
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

i don't see the point of buying toddler boys (my son's age) new clothes. All they do is destroy them in the first week anyway, lol. :) I'd prefer to pay 50 cents for a pair of pants that my son will drip yogurt over, splash mud on and tear the knees out climbing up stairs than $15.

inezmm2000
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Those are over priviledge women who thinkn they are better then everyone else. My girls have always handed clothes back and forth with their cousin. All my oldest clothes went to her cousin then came back around for my youngest daughter! Times are hard and even if you do have the means to buy new and expensive clothes what the point?! Thier kids!!! Besides how would they know what she has on anyway, are they stalkers or just assuming?? Cause I'm assuming their ignorant!

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM
How do they know the clothes are used and why is it anyone's business and if they are so repulsed by her used clothes they need to buy her some new clothes.
Mom-does-hair
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Please. That's rude and materialistic. My youngest loves wearing his big brother's old clothes. He doesn't have to, but wants to. I have never bought my kids used clothes, but I like to shop vintage. You can still buy quality though. Used doesn't mean it 'a crap.
steelcage
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM

How do they know they are used clothes? Does the child wear a big  huge sticker on said clothes that says "MY MOM WENT TO GOODWILL AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS OUTFIT" ? Because if she doesn't then what busines is it of theirs and how do they know? 

SciFiMama91
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM

How do they even know it's used?

Purple_Olive
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM
My dd's wardrobe is like 90% used clothes. And the little girl in my tummy is getting all her sisters hand me downs. :) I refuse to pay full price for clothes they will only wear a few times!! Lol :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN