Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it tacky to put your kids in used clothes?

Posted by   + Show Post

I overheard these women in the carpool lane at the kids' school badmouthing a child there. They didn't say the child's name (and the kids weren't out of class yet to hear) but said, "That poor girl is always wearing used clothes and it's just so tacky!"

Do you agree that used clothes are tacky, or do you think these moms are just weird/rude?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Replies (41-50):
ToniTennille
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't have been able to bite my tongue... lol No it's not tacky. What's tacky is women judging other families over stuff like that.

Jessy76
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Rude pretentious moms with more money the brains is what it sounds like to me. Hand me downs are a way of life for a lot of families. We use them for our kids and we give them to our friends for their kids. Sure we buy new too but I have no issue what so ever with hand me downs or thrift store cloths.

Bieg9093
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I daresay it's awfully foolish NOT to use hand-me-downs.

Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Can we say rude much? Sheesh! My son gets hand me downs AND I buy him and dd cloths at the JBF sales! There is nothing wrong with wearing "used cloths". Why should I pay full price for nice cloths when they will out grow them fast anyways? Besides you can usually find very nice cloths for next to nothing, if not free. Free is my favorite thing or cheap. I go buy new cloths when needed though. But give hand me downs any day!

Sounds like to me those moms are stuck up snobs and with that kind of attitude, they are teaching their kids to be brats. That's really a shame too.
LnAsMommy
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM
They are rude and superficial. I always shop at a consignment shop before I by new. The kids are only going to wear them for one season or put holes in them and staind. So what is the point in spending a fortune? I would be P.O.ed someone said that about my child. The don't know her family's situation!
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Are you kidding, clothes recycling is "hip" right now. They are sooooooo out of style.
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM

No it's not tacky. Most all of my kids clothes are used. And you can't even tell. How do they even know she wears used clothes. I say maybe the child is wearing cheaper clothes and not name brand ones. And they are just snobs who apparently don't have to watch what they spend on clothes.

dbush0584
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

How do they know they're used?  Maybe their HER clothes and they're old and she loves them?  Even if they are used...who cares?  My kids LOVE the thrift store and have been known to wear them a lot.  Their nice new clothes aren't better and due to the fashion...some look more used than the used ones.  Why are those bitches hatin on KIDS anyways?  They don't have anything better to do than hate on kids?  My kids wear uniforms BTW...in case that matters.

imandia4
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM
The women talking shit about a child's clothes is tacky.
muslimomof2
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM

umm no 80% of my kids clothes are used from consignment shops, goodwill, or they were given to me by a friend/family member whose child out grown them. I personally think its a waste of money and bad for the environment to buy new clothes all the time. I even recyle our old blankets, and clothes into cloth diapers and hand towls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN