Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Lice

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:04 AM
  • 3 Replies
I found out the 3 girls have lice. I checked the boys and the baby and they are clear as far as I can tell. I have used the rid shampoo on them, combed through the hair with the gel stuff given to help pull the eggs out, sprayed all the couches and beds with the spray in the box, and sanitized all bedding and pillows as well as coats. Anything else I need to do to guarantee they won't come back? I got mayonnaise and tee tree oil which I'm going to use tomorrow on them just for another form of getting rid of it all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:11 AM

stuffed animals need to be bagged, etc.    *knocks on wood*  DD has not had to go through this yet and i never did growing up.

DLMsMommy
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Tip for you... instead of mayo (which stinks for days even after you wash it out) try a mix of running alcohol and hair cholesterol. Works better than any of the lice shampoos and leaves the hair beautiful!! My grandmother taught first grade for a very long time so she had lots of live experience... she came up with that concoction and it is all I have ever used on my girls!

Empty 1 tub of hair cholesterol into a bowl. Use a mixer and mix in rubbing alcohol till it is the consistency of normal conditioner. Put the mixture on the kids hair...heavily behind the ears and around the neck. Make sure you get it root to tip. Cover with a bandanna or something just to protect the pillows (I also usually braid my girls hair tightly before bed). Leave on over night. Wash out in the morning and comb with not comb to remove nits. :)

And that's it. I have never had to treat my girls (or me) for more than one night. We also strip beds and wash all stuffed animals and pillows and I make sure to vacuum every day for a few days after we catch them (don't forget to empty the vacuum as soon as you finish vacuuming so that any buggies you sucked up don't escape!)

I also spray all hats with Lysol and soak all hairbrushes in boiling water with rubbing alcohol in it. (Unless I decide to just chuck them and buy new ones)

Last thing I do is keep their hair braided with just a little of the plain hair cholesterol on it for a few days after... that makes it harder for them to puck it up again when they go back to church or school.
Singlemomx31978
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:37 AM
You just have to stay on top of the treatments. It will take multiple treatments and dedication to get rid of the lice. Tea tree oil does work. Just make sure you do the follow up treatment in two weeks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)