Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you drink with kids around?

Posted by   + Show Post

Last weekend one of the kids in the band had a birthday party for his 12th birthday and the mom had a cooler full of beer set up inside. While they were carefully making sure none of the kids there didn't get a beer, all of the adults were happily indulging, some of them to the point they were stumbling around and clearly intoxicated.

Would you drink like this with kids around?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mommy4000
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM
4 moms liked this

Not in a party type situation. I don't care for my kids to see people getting drunk, or even getting loudly buzzed. If I drink, it's one and done, either out to dinner, or later at night when I'm relaxing.

kdgord
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM
We will drink around our kiddos but never to the point of drunk or even tipsy.
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I would not drink or have alcohol at a kids party. However, I have no problem having a drink around my kids. I also do not allow myself to get drunk around my kids. We will have wine and beer at family get togethers and dinners, but no one gets drunk.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
We are usually the ones who has beer at our house parties with the kids around but we don't get drunk. If we go to a party, DH will usually have a couple but I won't. I only drink at home. Everything in moderation. I don't think there's anything wrong with her offering but getting drunk is a different story.
a06z08mama
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM
3 moms liked this

That was the biggest fight with my ex husband and I. No matter what they were always getting drunk at the kids birthday parties. My ex was (still is) an alcoholic. And we fought many times about it. I didnt like it at my house during the party. But after the party was over. Fine. When my out of town family left. I didnt care. But while presents were getting opened and what not. His sister in law made a comment one year after the party was over and we were at my mother in law's house about being able to drink over there. Yeah alcohol ruined that marriage

kellysparkles
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't drink but I certainly wouldn't have it served at a child's party.

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a shame. Its a kid party for goodness sake.

If the adults want to drink they should have their own party.
jakesmom323
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I had alcohol for adults at my son's 1st birthday. I feel like in classy situations, it's polite to have adult beverages. People travel far to these things and its a great social gathering.
lucyblue202
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see a problem with having a *couple* drinks when the kids are around but it it not okay to get stumbling drunk! Not safe/responsible with children around.

lunyuny
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN