Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you drink with kids around?

Posted by   + Show Post

Last weekend one of the kids in the band had a birthday party for his 12th birthday and the mom had a cooler full of beer set up inside. While they were carefully making sure none of the kids there didn't get a beer, all of the adults were happily indulging, some of them to the point they were stumbling around and clearly intoxicated.

Would you drink like this with kids around?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Replies (251-259):
LoveAll3306
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM

We recently went to a birthday party for a 3 year old at a Kid's venue and one of the coolers they brought was filled with beer and wine.  I was really surprised especially because it wasn't at a private home.  I think alcohol has it appropriate places and not-so appropriate places and a child's birthday party is one of them.

GoesByJaneDoe
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I don't serve drinks at children's birthday parties at all. I think that is just inappropriate. However, I do not see a problem with having a glass of wine or a beer or two around your own children. I have never been drunk around my children ever.
thatkidtora
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Drinking is fine. Maybe even getting a buzz. But to get shit faced? No. At least, not a twelve year olds party.
MotherOfPurpose
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Drink yes get drunk no

jcmaidens
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Never. I never drink around my girls i try to set an example. Espically with teenagers i need to be careful. now thier father on the other hand....
bethgoedeken
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM
I see no problem with having a few drinks around the kids, but not to the point where you're stumbling around.
Kfdmrw9312
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM

With in moderation, yes. But If you're getting sloppy drunk, or noticably affected, NO.

Kfdmrw9312
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Love this ladies post quoted below, very well said. Just like when it comes to the parents who never have the "birds &bees" talk are the ones whose kids often get pregnant because they were sheltered from knowing anything. Same with drinking, you demonstrate that it is ok if you are of legal age & with in reason. I think it's always the kids who were sheltered from everything who end up going buck wild as a teenager/adult, because their parents were extremely stict & trying to create this unrealistic bubble around them, like many things don't exist in the world. Ignoring things don't make them not exist. It makes them want to go crazy whenever they have the chance

Quoting Smoore922:

I think its perfectly fine to have a drink in front of your children. Several drinks, probably not ok. We usually have adult beverages available at parties, birthdays, holidays, etc. I don't think its right to shelter your children from things of this nature but rather to teach them right from wrong and when they are of legal drinking age, if they decide to indulge in an adult beverage that is their choice. I like having an open and honest relationship with my kids from the start. I believe it will pay off in the long run! To each their own... We have no right to judge.

Flsweetgal78
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I would drink around my kids but not to the point of stumbling or having slurred speech.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)