Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you drink with kids around?

Posted by   + Show Post

Last weekend one of the kids in the band had a birthday party for his 12th birthday and the mom had a cooler full of beer set up inside. While they were carefully making sure none of the kids there didn't get a beer, all of the adults were happily indulging, some of them to the point they were stumbling around and clearly intoxicated.

Would you drink like this with kids around?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Replies (31-40):
Bieg9093
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mom-does-hair:

I have had a couple drinks in front of my kids. One drink, not multiples or to the point of being drunk. I disagree with people being drunk in front of kids.

Exactly. I think it's extremely useful to model responsible behavior with alcohol in front of the kids.  I WANT my kids to see me having one or two normal drinks (not Kamikazes, etc) and then leaving the party with dignity.

And then there was the time Honey and I took separate cars to a graduation party.  We NEVER take separate cars and we hadn't planned to do so for this party.  But my son had a doctor's appointment and we were running way late.  So I was having a good time and the CUTEST waiter kept refilling my wine glass.  I discovered I was more buzzed than I should have been and I had forgotten that we had both cars.  So when a friend offered to drive my car home for me, I felt pretty silly about it.  But I accepted because it was a fantastic thing for my kids to see.  (Had my kids not been there, I probably would have gone up the block to the diner for some coffee and pie and driven myself home an hour or two later.)

cece5000
by Cetia on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM

yes. I dont drink to get drunk.

heatherhall29
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I have a drink when we go out to eat, occasionally a mikes hard lemonade at home I don't hide it from my kids. At times I regret it like the other day at the grocery store my dd goes look mom you need some alcohol???
auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
No we do not drink like that n never have and will no either.
tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I'll drink in front of the kids. But getting drunk? HELL no.
cmjustice
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Drink? Yes. Get drunk? No.
jessie0221
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I wouldn't have enough around to get anybody sloppy drunk but alcohol is a part of my family's celebrations.  

JTROX
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Yep.  

jessie0221
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM
3 moms liked this

I love it.  We went to the store the other day to pick up some things and we were in the pad aisle and my 7yo points out the condoms and asks if I need more so I won't have a baby.  The old lady down the aisle had a stroke I think.  

Quoting heatherhall29:

I have a drink when we go out to eat, occasionally a mikes hard lemonade at home I don't hide it from my kids. At times I regret it like the other day at the grocery store my dd goes look mom you need some alcohol???

katcb1019
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Growing up there was always a cooler at mist family events. Us children never drank and the adults were al responsible. I don't put out alcohol but my sils all serve wine at holiday dinners. I don't see any issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN