Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

working swing shift and being a single mom..... PLEASE HELP I NEED ADVICE

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 8 Replies
I just started a new job about 2 weeks ago and only had 3 days of on the job training. I work with people with dementia and its also a hospice so it's a lot of things I have to learn. I was working 6-2 but yesterday I was called in to the office and told they've had complaints about me not being fast enough. I had 2 bad days this week but always made sure my work was done. After I left the office I went to do some charting abs was called into someone else's office to ask if I could work swing shift. Because I just started working there and I need the job and money and it's full time so I agreed to the schedule change but asked to be put on day shift again onece it becomes available. But as a single mom I'm worried about the holidays. If I'm scheduled to work I won't be able to take my kids trick or treating wont be able to spend thanksgiving or Christmas with them and than there is my daughter's 4th birthday coming up on new years eve. Their dad's not involved in their lives so I'm all they have left and my bf works grave yard so he can't help much. I feel as if I'm leaving my kids when I'm the only parent they have. Any advice would be great thanks
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jenking04
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
BUMP
Lindalou907
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Learn the job really well and then find another one working days in the same field if they won't move you back to days. You might also consider doing in home caregiving for someone. Your kids are little and you can make the time you do have with them special , don't feel guilty for paying the bills mama, you do what you have to do.

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM
What exactly is swing shift?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenking04
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I do in home caregiving on top of this job so I'm working long days for 2 jobs to pay bills and support my kids

Quoting Lindalou907:

Learn the job really well and then find another one working days in the same field if they won't move you back to days. You might also consider doing in home caregiving for someone. Your kids are little and you can make the time you do have with them special , don't feel guilty for paying the bills mama, you do what you have to do.

jenking04
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM
2-10pm

Quoting Y2kmomma:

What exactly is swing shift?

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Hugs to you hon,
I agree with this ;)

Quoting Lindalou907:

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I'd look into private in home care. I know you can make more money that way!

jenking04
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM
I do in home care as well but you don't get paid gas mileage and its a lot of driving and the pay wasn't that great either. I still do some in home care on top of what I'm doing but it's hard. This week they have me working Sunday-Tuesday 6-2 and swing on Friday and Saturday. Not sure on Wednesday and Thursday

Quoting jconney80:

I'd look into private in home care. I know you can make more money that way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)