Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kinda a long vent, do you teach your kids sportsmanship?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 1 Replies

I was a MAD momma and had an upset and hurt little boy today.  Today was ds's 2nd flag football game today.  Well the very first play after a little rough housing from the boys (mine included and I am well aware that my son can be rough) my son ends up getting the ball and running all the way down the field, just shy of getting the goal until a kid from the other kid tackled him and then took his flag.  He comes back to where we are sitting crying and saying the kid had dragon claws and kept scratching him and he wanted to sit out for a little bit.  Well I figured it was an accident.  Well he sat out until half time and then went back in.  Well there were these 3 little boys that were targeting my son (one being the dragon claw kid).  Every time the whistle blew instead of them playing and going after the ball, one of these kiddss would purposely go after my son and attack him, he would rough house back, but he actually never started it and wasn't being excessively rough (which again I am aware he can be and has been like this in the past but was not today).  So onto the last play that ds participated in today toward the end of the game.  We see these same 3 kids huddle up together talking animatedly but don't think much of it.  Whistle boys and all 3 boys run over to my son and attack him, are hitting him and jumping on him and dragon claws is digging his nails into my son's neck, ds comes out crying and bleeding.  His couch never saw what happened.  DS refused to play the rest of the game nor would he shake hands with this team.  We did point out to the couch what happened and he did say he had seen some of it and he and the other coach should have stopped the game for a minute and talked about sportsmanship but I am upset that this happened to my son.  I do believe that this coach was actually teaching these first grade boys bad habits though because everyone of them was aggressive and tackling on flag football and when our team made the only touchdown he was the one screaming NO!! And yelling at his boys.  All the kids on this team were mean, they would push and tackle our team at any opportunity.  Our team was taught this is FLAG football and they played a pretty good game.  Ok I just needed to get my rant out.

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
jconney80
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I'd be pretty upset about that! I definitely would teach my kids sportsmanship if they played sports.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)