Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I just spent 89 bucks on winter boots...

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 14 Replies
For 3 girls, lol. It sucked!! I hate spending money but all 3 needed new boots. Normally my oldest gets new and my younger two wear her hand me downs but the hand me downs were too worn or didnt fit. When that happens I try to find some at yard sale or consignment shops but I couldn't find any in their sizes. I hate paying retail, lol. Oh well it needed to be done. They were very good quality boots on sale. They should last this winter and next before their feet get too big for them. After that they will make nice hand me downs. I'm due with another girl in January ;).

I also hit up all the local stores and got all the 2t summer stuff on clearance I could find ( that was good quality) for ds. I don't have hand me downs for him as the only boy. He scored 7 pairs of very nice shorts and 2 tee shirts and 8 collared polos in various colors and styles all for 49 bucks! My girls also got 4 pairs of shorts each for about 65 dollars. I think I did pretty good. They got what they needed for next summer and for winter. Grandma got ds his winter boots. They are awesome and match the coat I found last year on clearance for 10 bucks ;).

Oh and I also scored some clearance and half off clothes for our new princess at jc Penney and 5 pairs of Gymboree and Carter's jeans for 5 dollars at a yard sale. They look brand new!

Who else is hitting up the sales and stocking ahead for the kiddies?
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM

All of my kids have winter boots already since I bought them at Once Upon A Child last season. I'm glad you found some boots! Now I just need a coat for my 2 year old. I love finding clearance things!

GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I work at a shoe store so I will get ds his boots for half price. My mom just bought him his winter coat and now we need ski pants.
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I still have to have the kids try on their snow pants and then try to find some cheap if they don't fit. I tried to find clearance boots and snow pants last year but had no luck. Some years it just doesn't happen :(

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

I work at a shoe store so I will get ds his boots for half price. My mom just bought him his winter coat and now we need ski pants.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

No money here until pay day so no stocking up.....89 dollars for 3 pairs of boots is a good deal.  Sometimes we have to look at quality rather than price.   Last year dd got winter(snow) boots that double as rain boots since we rarely get snow.  She is still wearing them this year.

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Quality is important. I used to buy Walmart stuff and other cheapo stuff but it almost all falls apart and can't be handed down. It's not cheaper in the long run if I have to keep re-buying. Now I search hard for clearance quality clothes that will last. I'm still super strict with my budget and I only buy when things are as marked down as they are going to get. I also search out all the senior shop people that will tell me all the sales for the year and the days they put out clearance things and when things are at their cheapest.

Quoting frndlyfn:

No money here until pay day so no stocking up.....89 dollars for 3 pairs of boots is a good deal.  Sometimes we have to look at quality rather than price.   Last year dd got winter(snow) boots that double as rain boots since we rarely get snow.  She is still wearing them this year.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I got lucky and found a princess nightgown at good will for under 3 dollars LOL  DD needed a long sleeve light weight nightgown for this cooler weather.  We rarely buy from consignment stores since they will charge more for same clothing you can buy brand new in the store.  Poor dd has no older girls to hand things down to her so i will shop around for best prices of what she needs.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quality is important. I used to buy Walmart stuff and other cheapo stuff but it almost all falls apart and can't be handed down. It's not cheaper in the long run if I have to keep re-buying. Now I search hard for clearance quality clothes that will last. I'm still super strict with my budget and I only buy when things are as marked down as they are going to get. I also search out all the senior shop people that will tell me all the sales for the year and the days they put out clearance things and when things are at their cheapest.

Quoting frndlyfn:

rebeccab1966
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I just had to spend $350 on dirtbike boots for my son!  He had cheaper boots, but a competitive dirtbiker told me he needed GOOD boots with way more protection or he could so serious damage to himself.  He's big into jumping so I had to do it.  Thankfully he's 14 and a size 11 1/2 and I think his feet have stopped growing,

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM
I get mad when places that sell second hand are more expensive than department stores. That is not the way it should be! I tend to hit them up when they have "fill a bag for 10 dollars" sales at the end of seasons. The best second hand shop in town just had a sidewalk sale with racks of things for a dollar. I got lots of stuff then too ;).

Quoting frndlyfn:

I got lucky and found a princess nightgown at good will for under 3 dollars LOL  DD needed a long sleeve light weight nightgown for this cooler weather.  We rarely buy from consignment stores since they will charge more for same clothing you can buy brand new in the store.  Poor dd has no older girls to hand things down to her so i will shop around for best prices of what she needs.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting frndlyfn:

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I can't imagine 350 for a pair of shoes! Dh had to spent 90 for work shoes and I about died, lol.

Quoting rebeccab1966:

I just had to spend $350 on dirtbike boots for my son!  He had cheaper boots, but a competitive dirtbiker told me he needed GOOD boots with way more protection or he could so serious damage to himself.  He's big into jumping so I had to do it.  Thankfully he's 14 and a size 11 1/2 and I think his feet have stopped growing,

rebeccab1966
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Quoting norahsmommy:

I can't imagine 350 for a pair of shoes! Dh had to spent 90 for work shoes and I about died, lol.

Quoting rebeccab1966:

Well these should last for years.  Apparently if they don't have the steel guards it's very easy to snap your ankle or shin bones.  This pro rider told me he's broken leg bones at least 7 times.  The good news is my husband can wear them, too,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)