Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 13 year!!! UPDATE 10/5/13

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 116 Replies
1 mom liked this

The first week(Aug. 5th) of August DD13 woke up having a red looking eye she had NO JUNK COMING OUT OF HER EYE we thought allergies. Like always we tried to wait it out well it wasn't clearing up. DH took her to the doctor on the 9th of August.(5th to 9th only 4 days ladies) They said it was pink eye gave her drops and sent them on there way. The 14th of August she started school and the phone calls about her having pink eye at school started. Notes were faxed stating she was under the care of the doctor and that she is safe to be in school. 16th of August she wakes up in screaming pain and blured vision DH takes her back to the doctor. Doc says its just a bad case of pink eye and allergies give a new script and tells her to start her seasonal allergy meds and make an appointment with our local optometrist just to check on eye strain. (I called the optometrist on the 16th no payments could be made nor could be billed, I called our insurance and with out a refural they couldn't help us. We live pay check to pay check an at this point no one thought it was urgent.)

Her right eye seems to clear up still has mild redness but ok were good. 

We set the appointment with the optometrist for 28th September soonest they could get us in.

Well her left eye on the 10th of this month(September) started looking like pink eye. Call the doctor since she had a case of "pink eye" already they just faxed a script in and a faxed a note to the school.

I forgot to say she saw her doctor again on the 16th of September as she got a sty and the eye was still red and didn't look like pink eye to me but they kept saying "pink eye"

Now here we are 28th of September and we get to the optometrist and he is very unhappy to see DD's eye. Not only does she have a major infection not on the service of the eye ball but inside the eye. Also she has a tare in her retna and cornea. 

She is at home they have her eyes banaged shut and she isn't allowed to returned school any time soon.

She has to go to Oaklands Childrens hospital on Wednesday to see what they can do for her. Worse case she'll lose her left eye and have very limited vision in her right.

UPDATE 10/02/13

We are finally home from the doctor, lab and pharm. Has a rare condition for her eye. An I was told that there was no foul play or lack of treatment on my end. That the doctors should of taken more time to figure it out and should of refered her to a Opthalmoliest the second time we came in. What DD has is Bilateral Granulomatous Uveitis (Anterior). At this time we do not know what caused it in a child of her age but this is the following things that can cause it Autoimmune Diseases like Lupus and RA, Infections like Gonorrhe has been ruled out as she isn't sexualy active and has never been molisted or raped, Fungus, Trauma or injury which has been ruled out, Eye diseases Glaucoma been ruled out, and other rare diseases and lastly Cancer.

Since I and my uncle have Autoimmune Diseases they are starting there. I and my uncle have SLE(Lupus).

So the ones who said I was a bad mother for not acting on this it wasn't in my control and I had NO CLUE that an Autoimmune Disease or anything else could be a preciser of something way worse.

Update- 10/4/2013

I would like to know how you all can say I'm at fault for my daughters illness??? Yes, if I knew the future I wouldn't of had kids if I had known that I have an autoimmune disease. For fuck sake you all are acting like I should of known that I had this and that I could pass it to my kids. NO ONE IN MY FAMILY TIL 2008 showed any sign of Autoimmune Disease.

Do you honestly thing that I'm not beating myself up enough over this? I cam here for support and a select few of you want to blame me.

Update- 10/5/13

Now not only are some of you select moms bashing me for my daughter being ill. Finally my ex husband got my message and told me he is calling CPS and contacting a lawyer. 

I honestly feel like the worse mother right now. 

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daisybaby91
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this
You should have taken her to the dr at the first sign of infection... pink eye is no joke..
RADmomma
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Oh momma!! I'm very sorry your dealing with this! Best wishes!!!
2Sparrows4ever
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I'm sorry.
rebeccab1966
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I am SO sorry, that's so scary.  Sending you hugs!

mesfilles
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM
So sorry. I hope she makes a full recovery and doesn't lose her vision.
luvmykcup
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Why the hell would you wait out pink eye? You have to have special drops it won't just go away! I hope she doesn't lose her eyesight because of this and I hope you and your dh has learned a valuable lesson.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM

So her primary care misdiagnosed her all those times?  I would have made an appt with eye doctor as soon as the first sign of illness was apparent in the eye.   Hind sight is 20/20.

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM
3 moms liked this

In the past we had waited out pink eye. Not always do you need medication for pink eye. DD has seasonable allergies the only sign she had was a red eye no discharge.

Quoting luvmykcup:

Why the hell would you wait out pink eye? You have to have special drops it won't just go away! I hope she doesn't lose her eyesight because of this and I hope you and your dh has learned a valuable lesson.

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

We had to wait as we were very close to the year mark. Our insurance only covers 1 appointment every 2 years for kids under 18 years. The 20th of this month was our 2 year mark. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

So her primary care misdiagnosed her all those times?  I would have made an appt with eye doctor as soon as the first sign of illness was apparent in the eye.   Hind sight is 20/20.

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM

In the past we had waited out pink eye. Not always do you need medication for pink eye. DD has seasonable allergies the only sign she had was a red eye no discharge.

Quoting daisybaby91:

You should have taken her to the dr at the first sign of infection... pink eye is no joke..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)