Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone have a great dane on here? If so i have some questions for you.

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 17 Replies

Ok so a little over a week ago me and my DH rescued a 5+ year old great dane from a very bad home. She is a very sweet girl and really good for not having much human contact in Idk how long. I know that 5+ years is old for a great dane and Im wondering if it's normal at her age to have as much energy as she does. She love's to play and has a stuffed animal dog that she loves to throw around she also has a rope toy that she loves palying tug a war with. I have to take her on about 2 walks a day. One is normaly done inthe morning and the last one is done at night before going to bed. If I don't atleast take her on a nightly walk she is hard to get calm to go to bed and will wake me up through the night wanting out. Even with a nightly walk she will wake up around 4am or 5am to go outside. I guess what I want to know is this normal for her at her age or could she be younger? When you look at her she even looks old. She is fawn with a black mask but most of the black is now white as well as other parts of her. And does yours need to be walked every day like she does? Before we got her her owners had her locked up outside in a small pin with no food or water she didn't even have bowls for them and was sleeping in her own crap. I have had animal my whole life but i have never had a great dane before. I have done reserch on them but it didn't really answer some of my questions.

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I don't have one but have you tried to google to see what you can find out?
I know my dogs at that age still had lots of energy
One was a Golden & one I have now is a maltese.
hope someone can help you :)

jaycam
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I have looked it up but it didn't really answer much or I just wasn't finding it. I hope someone can to. I would really like to know if this is normal or if she could just be happy that she is with a family that loves and cares for her. In the week that we have had her she has became use to being spoiled and is loving it lol

Quoting hugss:

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM

great danes are such beautiful dogs!  good for you for rescuing her!!  :)  i dont know much about them, but i do know they have lots of energy, and do need plenty of walks.  i have a golden retriever, he is gonna be 6 next month, he still plays like he does when he was a puppy :)

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM

i would think your dog is just happy to have some attention, finally!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I'm guessing she is happy to have a family love her you know ..

Quoting jaycam:

I have looked it up but it didn't really answer much or I just wasn't finding it. I hope someone can to. I would really like to know if this is normal or if she could just be happy that she is with a family that loves and cares for her. In the week that we have had her she has became use to being spoiled and is loving it lol

Quoting hugss:

jaycam
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:21 AM

I think that maybe it too. It's shocks me that so many people would treat an animal like that. and then for her to turn around and be the way she is with use is unreal.

Quoting hugss:

I'm guessing she is happy to have a family love her you know ..

Quoting jaycam:

Quoting hugss:

Jamie1972
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I dated a guy who's mom used to show great Danes in dog shows. Yes they are energetic dogs. 

Lol I remember he had one that while she did great in her shows, she was the brightest bulb in the bunch. She run e everywhere, mostly into glass doors. 

jaycam
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:28 AM

They are very beautiful and they are truly gental giants. For as big as she is she nevers trys jumping on anyone unless it's ok and she only did that with my DH once so we could see how tall she was standing on her hind legs. My DH is 6'5" and she was face to face with him. I have a 8 y/o DD and a 6 y/o DS and she is so good with them. My DS loves playing tug a war with her. She has to be outside waiting for them to get off the bus. She sure does need plnty of walks and has alot of energy. I can't see why anyone would treat her or any animal that way.

Quoting alexis_06:

great danes are such beautiful dogs!  good for you for rescuing her!!  :)  i dont know much about them, but i do know they have lots of energy, and do need plenty of walks.  i have a golden retriever, he is gonna be 6 next month, he still plays like he does when he was a puppy :)

jaycam
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:34 AM

LOL luckly she doesn't do that and I hope she never does. The only problem we have with her is she barks alot. She barks at the cat ,she barks everytime it thunders, and for every little noise she heres outside but yet she doesn't bark when someone knocks on the door like our other dogs do which is a plus the other plus is she barks everytime she needs to go out to the bathroom.

Quoting Jamie1972:

I dated a guy who's mom used to show great Danes in dog shows. Yes they are energetic dogs. 

Lol I remember he had one that while she did great in her shows, she was the brightest bulb in the bunch. She run e everywhere, mostly into glass doors. 

tammymariec
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:51 AM

I have a great dane mixed with a lab she is 5 years also,,we had her since the age of 3 weeks,,bad neighbors were giving away the puppies at 3 weeks which was a good thing cause they were living in a very bad home,,JAYCEE just turned 5 august 8 th but like your dog she is black but turning grey fast but  she also at times loves to chase butterflies in the backyard,,and has a large collection of stuffed animals we throw she chases and shakes around,,shes a bit unique wont chase a tennis ball but makes my daughter sit in front of her throw it too her she catches it in mid air and drops it to my daughter  playing catch lol we dont do walks because she is horrible on a lease our fault i guess  she just is very strong muscular and insists on barking loud at everything and pulling too much ,,but i agree with others ,,your dog is probally so thankful so happy to be in a good safe loving home she is probally having a hard time keeping still due to happiness,,,i think just take each day as it comes ,,just like kids our canine children are unique some are calm and some like my jaycee are totally adhd lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)