Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Looking to chat with others who have children with eczema & allergies

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello, my name is Jody and I am the mother of three and have 2 grandchildren. I came across this site in search of others who have a child or children with the same or similar issues as my son Keagan.

I am a 43 year old 44 in November mother of a 25 year old son, 21 year old daughter and a 3 year old (Keagan). Oh an I must not forget my two little grand babies, Caleb 4 and Chloe 2... Wow a lot right.

I am divorced from my older two children's father for about 13 years now, and I am and have been with my son Keagan's dad for going on 12 years. We are not married by my choice, but committed just the same. We have Keagan who was, lets just say not expected or planned and as a matter of fact I found out when I went for my consult in 2009 to have my tubes tide...

He is an amazing child, brite, and much more than I could have ever planned for. However, Keagan has a sever case of eczema and is allergic to it seems like, everything... Every time we go to his allergist (every 6 months) he test positive to something new... :(

I know I am not alone, but I can sure tell you that I feel as if I am. Keagan has had eczema since birth, and the allergies have always been there as well. I can not even express how unprepared I was to handle all that Keagan has going on. And 3 years later it has not gotten any better. I am sad most of the time, and my heart breaks for Keagan daily.

I could go on for days even years about Keagan, because even though I sometimes feel like I just can't do it another day somehow I do... Some days are better than others but most of the time it is a struggle to have to see my son go through this.

I have not reached out until now and I am not even sure why? I would love to talk to others who know what we are going through. As I said before I know I am not alone but feel very alone in it most of the time.

So with all of this said, I would really like some one to talk to who can relate... All of my friends are my age and none of them have kids Keagan's age (no surprise) or have children who had any of what he does.

So if you are like me and are looking to talk I would love to chat anytime...

Keagan's Mom boy kissing mom

Jody

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

WEclome to CafeMom Jody,
This is a great place for support.
So nice to meet you :)

MommmaBeee
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I have a 14 month old boy who has eczema very bad. He is allergic to peanuts, mosquito's, flea's and lord knows what else! 

Leah.Rae
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
My nephew has TERRIBLE excema. He is 2 1/2. He sleeps with socks taped to his hands and feet with his medicine on so he doesn't scratch. Even as much as a weather change can make him so scaly and red that he scratches at it until it bleeds :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZombieChicken
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Our son had terrible eczema. Once we removed the foods he was allergic to, it went away. It can be anything, we found out garlic is a trigger. Elimination is the only answer for us.
cmjustice
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM
My son had terrible eczema from infancy to about age three. We adapted and learned to deal with it, but for the most part he's outgrown it. So grateful! We just stuck with all natural for his skin (I make creams for him and use Castile soap), and that combined with cutting down on bathing, especially in the winter helped a lot.
Pnukey
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Welcome. DS had eczema as a baby, but grew out of it. He is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, coconuts (which isn't even a nut), every other nut you can think of, and "everything that grows and blows in the wind" according to the allergist. It's rough, but you get used to it.

tynicvic3
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Hello, :)...My 8 year old daughter has eczema, We went through what you are now. We have it under control now, but she has an occassional flair up. It is SO heartbreaking to watch her discomfort. Benedryl and moisturize like crazy!!!! (((HUG)))hugs

qhulai
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Hi Jody.  My second son who is now 13 years old had a skin allergy when he was 2 months olds.  Pimple like skin problems grows in different parts of his body even on his forehead.  A skin doctor prescribed antibiotics when he was 4 months old.  The antibiotics is not flavored and just imagine medicating a very young child with it.  Instead i did not medicate him.  I tried all soaps hypoallergenic.  Nothing really worked.  I used an ointment for diaper rash  with zinc oxide to treat and somehow it helped.    When he reached age 5 either the pimple growths were treated or he outgrew it.   But, his skin on his legs knee down were dry and flaky.  It was like scaly.  And it easily gets irritated.  I treat his  skin problems with BETADINE to prevent infection.   It was only last year, when my mom knowing my sons' skin condition was told of this chinese ointment that healed my aunts eczema.  She, my aunt had gone to a lot of skin doctors and had spent thousands of pesos for medications and it did not help.   This ointment was also introduced to her (my aunt) by a relative who noticed her wrapped leg due to eczema.  It cured her eczema.   I used it to my son, as it is a topical ointment, and truly, his skin was okey after few days of applying it.   If you are interested, i will show you the image of this ointment.   I for one had tried and proven it's effectiveness when i had this very itchy skin problem i had for two days.  I just rubbed it there and goodbye. Gone the next day.

What is good about this ointment aside from it's topical application, it costs  a little over $1 only. 

Keagansmother
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I would like to thank everyone for the Great Response's, unfortunately I am not able to get on the site everyday because of my daily schedule. I would like to say a little something to everyone though...

hugss - Thank you so much for your welcoming, it is a pleasure to meet you as well... angel

MommmaBeee- I totally feel what you are saying, every time we go for Keagan's 6 month visit to his allergist we add one or more allergies to the list... sad

Leah.Rae - Keagan also suffers with the weather change and is famous for scratching till it bleeds. We keep his nails cut back as far as legally possible, lol because although the socks on the hand is a Great Idea Keagan always seems to Houdini his way out of them? surprise

ZombieChicken- Elimination has been huge for us as well... Keagan is also allergic to Garlic and we too are learning as we go with triggers. smile big

cmjustice- It has been a long three years so far and as we go along we are learning to deal with it as well. I have tried many different things on Keagan and CeraVe moisterizing lotion & CeraVe hydrating wash are the only thing that I use on him now. How ever I have been working with a holistic Dr. and we are really  trying to get Keagan's gut on the right path as well... smile

Pnukey- I am hopeful that Keagan will out grow his eczema also, fingers crossed. Keagan is allergic to tree nuts & peanuts as well. Peanuts being the allergy that requires Keagan to have he epijr. pen... and the one most common allergy that is not out grown :( there is however wow butter and a few other soy products that taste alot like if not just like real peanut butter and although Keagan will not eat it because he can not reason with himself that it is ok for him to have the sandwich that looks like a PBJ... but I must say I enjoy being able to eat them again... wink

tynicvic3- now that Fall is here we are coming to a calm stage, Fall being his best season. I do however use Childrens Clairtain for day time and his prescribed antihistamine at night when need. Benedryl has a terrible reverse reaction on Keagan, turns him into to Super Boy, he can't even slow his self down for hours after taking it... lol... and I do keep CeraVe on one table in every room and I must tell you that although the rest of my body will age as usual my hands will always look like they belong to a 20 year old... Thank you CeraVe & Keagan... kiss

krennabeth- Yep Keagan's eczema is pretty bad most of the time, but like I was saying to tynicvic3 right now is Keagan's best season... He pretty much has a reaction to everything and anything, stress & room temperature being the 2 biggest. We do not eat out but when we have, I take a plate of food that I make him at home and he eats that instead. As far as relatives, that really is not an issue they all just pretty much follow my lead. He does not go to day care I am fortunate that I am able to work from home. How ever Keagan is due to start pre-k next September and I am sooooo afraid that he is not going to be able to do that. He is so smart and wants to go to school now but I am not sure that once it actually happens because of not going to daycare and being with me all of the that when it comes time to be away from each other longer than the occasional 2 or so hours he is with family the stress might become an issue. And there are a list of other concerns that I am having but again, I think it is more of my anxiety of the thought of never having the away time that pre-k and schools brings to any parent... I feel so selfish for even saying that but I have to be honest... I have not slept through the night in 3+ years now, have had very few times that Keagan has been away for more than a few hours and it is truly at times taking a toll on me. Like I mentioned earlier every 6 months Keagan goes to an allergist and we have never removed and allergy only added one or two or three to the list... Here goes the list since Keagan started seeing an allergist @ 10 months: egg, cow's milk, PEANUTS, tree nuts, shellfish, garlic, mold, dogs, dust, rag weed, grass pollen, tree pollen, formaldehyde, gold sodium thiosulfate and potassium dichromate. But I still have hope... smile big

ghulai- I am currently working with a holistic Dr. right now and we are introducing him to all natural products, meaning he currently can only use CeraVe moisterizing cream & hydrating bath wash and I am switching his moisturizer with an all natural handmade Balm. He is also now on an all natural immune balancer, omega 3, childrens probiotics and vitamin D3. I would love to see the product that you are speaking about, I am open to anything at this point... wink 

elmorules- I look forward to the day I can say that Keagan has out grown something... I am going to check out your post about (LDA) definitely peaked my interest. Keagan is a meat and potato's kid, we don't eat fast food and he can't eat mac & cheese because the noodles have egg. angel

RealClean4You
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Two products very near and dear to me are the Norwex Ultra Power Plus laundry detergent and the Norwex dryer balls!
The fillers, perfumes, and other chemicals in laundry detergents are usually the cause for allergic reactions and skin sensitivities Have you heard of the EWG? My dad told me about the EWG website. This non-profit organization does a LOT of research for consumers. You can find ingredients of all kinds of products you use in your home. My dad explained to me that the FDA doesn't mandate that companies list the ingredients on products consumers use for household use, only those we consume.

These two links provide a true wake up call: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9zR0KHYF4k&feature=youtu.be and http://visual.ly/toxic-chemicals-are-in-your-home

Norwex Laundry Detergent is highly concentrated. For a front-load HE machine, you only have to use 1/2 tsp (1 tsp for hard water) per load of laundry. Norwex UPP contains no fillers, phosphate, SLS, or perfumes, which means that there is no filler residue left on clothes.

Laundry detergent, Dryer Balls, and Body Cloths are all we changed.....
http://www.norwex.biz/pws/christinabartell/tabs/home.aspx

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)