Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Women who have started their own business

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 33 Replies
I would like to start my own business and need some advice. I wondered what you do and how you got there. If you would be interested in giving some advice please message me. Thank you
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexis_06
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM

i have no idea, i hope someone here can help you tho :)

4x4x16mom
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:31 PM
I started a bakery. I loved to bake, i always did it big at the holidays. I bought everything i needed so i didn't have any loans. I'm lucky my sister does my taxes on work orders. I got my liscence, registered. And i work from home. I'll have enough money by January to sign my lease. I just put up flyers, business cards, t shirts, and my dh did word of mouth at his job and that's how i gained customers.
mamaofonegirl
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I started up a children's family entertainment and deejay service after the radio station that I worked for shut down. I used my severence to buy my equipment. I started by writing a business plan, and setting up my website. A lot of what I put into my business plan was used for my website. I was able to retain a lot of my customers from my previous job. 

ilovemymixedbby
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

flaquitabss
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Go to you city building, ask for an application to open your new business.  If you have an idea of what is it you like to do, then ask for specifics.    Usually together with an application you will get a sheet of prices for whatever kind of business it is... service goods, personal services, sales, etc.   The most hard ones to do is food related business.  All the rest are pretty much simple to do.

You need to pick a name for your business.   Example: "DJ 2000"

Fill out the form and pay the corresponding fee.   That is your license.  It will arrive by mail.

Next, make a discalimer.  Go to your local paper and ask to make a business disclaimer. Fees vary depending on where you live.   They will also mail you a copy, and it will run for two weeks.  This is to make sure no other person has the same business name of yours and you can there use it freely.

Fill out the tax id form online.  Its free and super easy.  You get it right away in a pdf format to your email.

The website builder I use for mine is www.ipage.com   good prices and super easy to build.  It will also help you with your domain name.   And usually the first three months for your website are 1 dll.  then it goes up to about 14.99 a month.     You can aslo get a free website if you dont mind the "extra" lettering.   for example.... www.dj2000.com <---------- will cost you.... but www.dj2000.ipage.com will be free. Because you are basically advertising for them.     Get some business cards,  the easiest to make are from Vistaprint.com and you can even get free ones.  However, if you are serious about your business I recomend more profesional looking business cards.  They are probably about 22dls for both sides printing for about 200 business cards, but they are high quality.    

Make a facebook and twiter account with your domain and business name on them.   And start advertising.

Good luck!

momofacrew
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Great advice! Thank you!
momofacrew
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Does it cost to get a tax id?

Quoting flaquitabss:

Go to you city building, ask for an application to open your new business.  If you have an idea of what is it you like to do, then ask for specifics.    Usually together with an application you will get a sheet of prices for whatever kind of business it is... service goods, personal services, sales, etc.   The most hard ones to do is food related business.  All the rest are pretty much simple to do.

You need to pick a name for your business.   Example: "DJ 2000"

Fill out the form and pay the corresponding fee.   That is your license.  It will arrive by mail.

Next, make a discalimer.  Go to your local paper and ask to make a business disclaimer. Fees vary depending on where you live.   They will also mail you a copy, and it will run for two weeks.  This is to make sure no other person has the same business name of yours and you can there use it freely.

Fill out the tax id form online.  Its free and super easy.  You get it right away in a pdf format to your email.

The website builder I use for mine is www.ipage.com   good prices and super easy to build.  It will also help you with your domain name.   And usually the first three months for your website are 1 dll.  then it goes up to about 14.99 a month.     You can aslo get a free website if you dont mind the "extra" lettering.   for example.... www.dj2000.com <---------- will cost you.... but www.dj2000.ipage.com will be free. Because you are basically advertising for them.     Get some business cards,  the easiest to make are from Vistaprint.com and you can even get free ones.  However, if you are serious about your business I recomend more profesional looking business cards.  They are probably about 22dls for both sides printing for about 200 business cards, but they are high quality.    

Make a facebook and twiter account with your domain and business name on them.   And start advertising.

Good luck!

momofacrew
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Did you have help on your business plan? Did you know how to do one?

Quoting mamaofonegirl:

I started up a children's family entertainment and deejay service after the radio station that I worked for shut down. I used my severence to buy my equipment. I started by writing a business plan, and setting up my website. A lot of what I put into my business plan was used for my website. I was able to retain a lot of my customers from my previous job. 

momofacrew
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:15 AM
You needed a bakery license?

Quoting 4x4x16mom:

I started a bakery. I loved to bake, i always did it big at the holidays. I bought everything i needed so i didn't have any loans. I'm lucky my sister does my taxes on work orders. I got my liscence, registered. And i work from home. I'll have enough money by January to sign my lease. I just put up flyers, business cards, t shirts, and my dh did word of mouth at his job and that's how i gained customers.

CjHonza
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I started a business. Mine is mostly online right now. I have a few things in different shops, but no shop of my own yet. I make everything I sell. What kind of business are you wanting to start?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN