Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

what would you do? (about santa)

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM
  • 16 Replies
My boys are 10 & 7. My 10yr old told me last year that he didn't believe in santa anymore. He's asked me when he was around 6 if santa was real. I told him if he believes that he's real, then he is. That was the end of that. Tonight, my 7yr old asked me if Santa is real. I told him the same thing I told my 10yr old when he was 6. Instead of saying ok, like his older brother he said,"mom, please just tell me. Remember, you said to always tell the truth." I didn't know what to say. Do I just tell him the truth? I knew my kids would eventually find out about santa, but on their own lol. Please don't turn this into a, don't lie to your kids about santa or they will have issues etc.....my 10yr old is perfectly fine :)
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissyboogs
by Katie on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM

If he's questioning it to that point (insisting that you just tell the truth), then, he's ready to know. 

I'd tell him. 

terpmama
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

No Longer Believing in Santa

ReligionIllustration by Barry FallsBelief and wonder don’t have to end when a child learns the truth about Santa.

Martha Brockenbrough’s daughter, Lucy, has figured out the truth. That has left her mother grappling with how to explain that belief and wonder don’t have to end with this news. Brockenbrough writes about parentingon the Web site cozi.com, and recently she posted a letter that she wrote to Lucy, trying to make sense of Santa.

She and the producers of the cozi.com Web site have given me permission to run the whole letter here:

Dear Lucy,

Thank you for your letter. You asked a very good question: “Are you Santa?”

I know you’ve wanted the answer to this question for a long time, and I’ve had to give it careful thought to know just what to say.

The answer is no. I am not Santa. There is no one Santa.

I am the person who fills your stockings with presents, though. I also choose and wrap the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her. (And yes, Daddy helps, too.)

I imagine you will someday do this for your children, and I know you will love seeing them run down the Christmas magic stairs on Christmas morning. You will love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.

This won’t make you Santa, though.

Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch.

It’s a big job, and it’s an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents and in your family. You’ll also need to believe in things you can’t measure or even hold in your hand. Here, I am talking about love, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments.

Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts he’s filled with joy.

With full hearts, people like Daddy and me take our turns helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.

So, no. I am not Santa. Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness. I’m on his team, and now you are, too.

I love you and I always will.

Mama

flaquitabss
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM

When my daughters asked me.... I just said.... "If you believe in Santa, he is real, if not then no, but the ones who believe in santa always get presents!"   they are 13, 12 and 6 now.... so they all three believe in Santa..... yeah... Im pretty SURE the two oldest ones know who santa really is.  But they keep the fantasy going for the 6 year old!   I think its nice.     And I love when they (13 & 12) come from school and tell me, today my friends told me that you where Santa.... -What did you say?   - I said that you are not fat, dont have a beard and dont dress in red! = )

We all just laugh when the little one says.... "I cant believe some people dont believe in Santa!  He is pretty amazing if you ask me"  

And well, Im 32 years old, and in my parents house "Santa" still comes for me and my sister! = )   I cannot recall when I realized Santa were my parents!

GagaNTattooS
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
We told ours Santa is the magic of the Christmas season. He Will always be alive as long as t the magic of the season is in your heart
ColieO
by I Rock on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Santa is real. He's the spirit and magic of Christmas, and he lives in everyone that believes in that and passes it on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilTymomma
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I would tell them the real story about Saint Nick.

Love Always,

Angel

typing

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM

santa is the spirit of giving.  

as long as we continue to give freely and from the heart- then santa is real. 

santa is more to teach children the value of giving than an actual person. 

that's what i was taught and told growing up- i raise my kids the same.

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:20 AM
This. Also your ten year old is clearly experiencing some frustration.

Quoting LilTymomma:

I would tell them the real story about Saint Nick.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:20 AM

i dont know what to say, i never believed in santa, and neither did my daughter

kay283
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Sounds like he's ready to hear the truth about Santa. My son asked me when he was 6 so I told him the truth. He thanked me for being honest with him and even felt a little proud that he knew the adults big secret. He was happy. It's one thing to tell them the myth of Santa in the first place. But it's just wrong to flat out lie to a child that is old enough to question it. Just tell him :) it makes Christmas shopping much easier too ;) no sneaking around

Quoting funmommy123:

My boys are 10 & 7. My 10yr old told me last year that he didn't believe in santa anymore. He's asked me when he was around 6 if santa was real. I told him if he believes that he's real, then he is. That was the end of that. Tonight, my 7yr old asked me if Santa is real. I told him the same thing I told my 10yr old when he was 6. Instead of saying ok, like his older brother he said,"mom, please just tell me. Remember, you said to always tell the truth." I didn't know what to say. Do I just tell him the truth? I knew my kids would eventually find out about santa, but on their own lol. Please don't turn this into a, don't lie to your kids about santa or they will have issues etc.....my 10yr old is perfectly fine :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)