Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

depo shot

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:30 PM
  • 9 Replies
here is my story and question i have been n the shot since June 2005 a month after my son was born and have been receiving my shot on time. now in may 2007 i feel pregnant I'm getting sick at the smell of foods and gaining weight swelling in my ankles vomiting in the morning and night and i keep taking home pregnancy test and they come up negative but i feel pregnant and this has been going on for like 3 weeks i even had to go up a shirt size and i have an appointment tomorrow to get my shot but i don't want to get it in the thought of me being pregnant and in that case there going to give me a pregnancy test what happens if it comes up negative should i ask for a ultra sound just to be safe and will the depo shot make pregnancy test come up negative has anyone else had problems like this or is just my body just going crazy Melissa
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
chiamom123
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:38 PM
just tell the doc your concern they'll know what to do.
melissa_norman
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM
i called them today they said that i sound like im pregnant but they cant tell for sure
cooqua
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:50 PM
I agree.  I would talk to your doc about your concern.  Tell them you've taken a pregnancy test, etc.  I have never been on the depo shot.  I wanted to but my ob/gyn told me that some women gain alot of weight (retaining fluid) and also some have their period constantly for the 3 months.  So opted not to.  Good luck.
melissa_norman
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:52 PM
i never gained any weight and i got the shot right after my peroid and havent had one for a long time
3js13
by on May. 8, 2007 at 6:29 AM

I have been on the depo shot on and off for 10 years now. I have personally never have gotten pregnant on it. However I have been late getting my shot (pass the 2 week period). My doc had me get blood work done to make sure I was not pregnant. It might just be the shot. Some people do gain weight but not right away. Others bleed the whole time. It just depends on your body. I didn't start to gain weight until alittle after a year. 

gr8tmom
by on May. 8, 2007 at 6:48 AM

I had gotten the Depo shot years ago, and after severe weight gain, and mood swings (I was an emotional train wreck, always crying), I stopped it completely.  Depo has been known in some to trigger the weight gain and other symptoms.  Someone told me after I came off of it, that by taking a B complex supplement, I could have offset the mood swings, but the weight gain was something that I would have to deal with.  Perhaps with your body changing you are just having side affects, but I would mention this  to your doc, and the tests you took that were negative.  Even though the pregnancy tests might come up negative, they may order an ultrasound to figure out what is going on internally.

Hope this helps!!

Austinsmommy416
by on May. 8, 2007 at 6:58 AM
I think just about every kind of birth control makes you gain weight.  But it's more gradual than what you described.  I have been on the depo shot for over a year and a half and haven't had any problems, except gaining weight.  I would def have them test you before you get the shot.  And if you really think that you are pregnant and the test comes back negative, I would go to an Ob doctor and have them run more tests.
jojoba
by on May. 8, 2007 at 9:11 AM
I have only had the shot once, after my second child was born. I bled everyday from april to october. Yeah, not on it again. Anyway, I do know 2 ladies who became pregnant while on the shot. So it is very possible -  no birth cotrol is 100%. I would have your doctor run some tests to make sure.

Sarah

motomomma
by on May. 8, 2007 at 9:32 AM

I was on depo for about 4 years- it pretty much destroyed me !  I have heard others say the same thing- all of a sudden it just starts messing with you- I was sooo depressed and didn't know why and I gained 25 pounds which thankfully flew off within 3 weeks after stopping the b/c.  Be careful!

Secondly- this is odd- but I was extremely sick for a long time- thought I was preggo but all 12 tests were negative!  Blood tests even came back neg.  the docs didn't know what was wrong with me!  Finally they did an ultrasound to see if that would show anything- the doctor and my husband were shocked when we saw a baby- 18 weeks along!  (I had only gained 5 pounds- belly was flat as a pancake except for a tiny little bump like i was bloated!  Make them give you an ultrasound!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)