Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Have you talked to your kids about the birds and the bees yet?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 14 Replies

I'm Ready to Have the 'Sex Talk' With My 7-Year-Old

by Mary Fischer

birds and the beesAs much as I've tried to ward off having the discussion with my 7-year-old, it seems to be getting harder and harder to skirt around the subject of where babies come from with him.

At least once a week or so, I'm met with one of the following questions:

"How does a baby get in your belly?"

"How do you 'make' a baby?"

"I know that the stork is fake, Mom -- so how does the baby come out of your belly once it's in there?"

Maybe it's because he's in second grade and is smart enough to realize birds don't drop babies on doorsteps. Or maybe it's because he's addicted to Full House reruns and has seen the episode where Aunt Becky delivers the twins about a zillion times and realizes she's pushing the babies out of her body somehow.

Whatever the case, his inquiring little mind wants to know all about the birds and the bees. I think I might be at a point where I'm ready to have "the talk" with him.

I didn't expect to have this conversation until he was at least 11 or 12, because that's about when my mom had it with me. But it's clear that as time goes on, it's getting more difficult to change the subject whenever he brings it up. I might have to just break down and give it to him straight.

And I know -- 7 seems awfully young to learn about sex, babies, and everything in between. But I actually think he might be mature enough to handle the truth, and if I'm going to have this talk, I don't want to dumb things down for him or lie about any aspect of the whole deal.

But here's what I'm afraid of (and no, I'm actually not worried about the look on his face after I give him the run down of the entire process): I'm terrified that if I do tell him, he'll proceed to inform all of his friends at school about how babies are made. Then their parents will freak out and absolutely hate me and deem me to be the most irresponsible parent on the face of the earth.

However, the longer I wait and keep telling him that we'll have the conversation "another time," the more he's going to press the issue and the greater his curiosity will grow. Then I worry that he'll wind up asking his friends at school, and one of them will have already had the talk with their parents and will fill him in, which would really suck.

So ... what the heck am I supposed to do? Is he still too young to hear this stuff -- or should I just get it out of the way and explain it all to him before someone else has the chance to? I'm thinking the latter -- but what if I'm wrong and he really isn't as ready as I think he is?

Sometimes this parenting thing is kinda hard.

Have you talked to your kids about the birds and the bees yet?

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
The talk is an on going conversation. We start early in this house and every year we as more information to the conversation. My son is almost five and knows where babies come from. We have a book we loved to help explain things to him. It's called Its not the Stork. We answer all his questions honestly and right when he asks us.
RADmomma
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM
My dd is six and never asked. We will talk when she gets curious.
auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
No we try to with our 11 yr old son and he gets grossed out by it and cover his ears or tell us to stop and our 21 month old is to young.
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM

DD just turned 8 and DS is 4 1/2. We have not begun the discussion yet(because I do feel it is something that needs to be ongoing, not just one "talk"). She did ask, when I was pregnant with her brother(when she was 3). We told her, on her level at the time, where babies come from, but she had no interest in the "how" of it all.

DH and I feel there is no need to start the discussion with her quite yet. We have begun talking about body changes, since she is beginning to develop, and I will go into more detail as those changes progress.

abecee
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Mine have never asked.  So we have never said

Pnukey
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM

DD, 13, knows all the nitty gritty. I told her at age 11 when she started her period.  DS 8, does not. At his age, as I did with my daughter, I say that people have sex to make babies. When they ask "What's sex?" I tell them that they will be told when they're old enough to understand. That seemed to work well with DD. I'm sure it'll be fine with DS too. Of course, right now, all he cares about is Minecraft.

RobinBright
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM

We do not believe in " the talk."  We have engaged in open conversation, on age appropriate levels, since the boys were toddlers. 

Lovemyshadows
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

We always answered questions honestly, when ever the kids brought it up or something on TV prompted a question.  I do have to say, none of my grand children were born out of wedlock.  

caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:41 PM
i believe in answering questions honestly when asked because my mom always said if they are asking ( especially school aged kids) they already have some idea of an answer and want to know how right they are. I have ALWAYS used the correct names for body parts even when they were a year old. its not a hoo haa its a vagina, its not a "thing" its a penis
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I have been since they were about 5.  I've got some pretty funny stories from them asking questions, dh running away from them and telling them he didn't know the answers, me answering them and the kids thinking it's hilarious that dh doesn't know the answers lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN