Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

pregnancy while on birth control??

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:25 AM
  • 17 Replies
I am a mother of 2 boys. The youngest turned 2 in August. I got the implanon right after having him. When I 1st got it I had no issues,no crazy hormones or symptoms and my period remained the same. In August, after my period ended I started spotting a few days later. Then it stopped. I had my period again in September and a day after my period ended I started spotting again and it hasnt stopped. It is now October and im still spotting. Besides being annoyed I am a bit concerned. Is this normal?? I have been having major cramps and back pain and headaces. I've also been pretty emotional that now has my husband thinking im bipolar! I get so hot and stary sweating all of a sudden but it will only last a few minutes and then I feel normal again. Should I be concerned or am I just thinking about this to much? I just dont want to be pregnant and not know and the birth control affect anything! Help??
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KayBeCareful
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Getting pregnant while on bc is uncommon but it happens. However, with your symptoms, I would suggest a visit to your gyn asap. The spotting and pain you describe could be a symptom of an ectopic pregnancy, which is serious. It could also be a miscarriage. 

I remember having what is called a missed abortion, which is an early miscarriage.  I had the symptoms you described except I don't recall having any headaches. Please don't wait to see the doc.

LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Just take a test.

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I would test and also talked to your Doctor. Discuss these symptoms, Implanon may not be right for you. But they won't know, unless you tell them what you're experiencing. Good Luck!

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  I have heard of a few women getting pregnant while on the IUD.  If you think this is a possibility you should see the doctor as soon as possible.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:46 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Hi there,
I agree with the others,
Speak with your doctor & take a test ;)

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM

It can happen, but not too likely.  How long have you been on BC?  Is it possible your body is getting used to the medication?

rodriguezmami02
by New Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I have been on b.c for 2 yrs. I think my body should be used to it by now. But my luck I would be that 1% or so to be pregnant. Is there a possibility that if I take a hpt it could say negative and be incorrect? My husband is going to pick one up for me after work.
a06z08mama
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Have you ever been checked for cysts? Sounds kinda like the issues I have when I have a cyst.
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM

My daughter was going to get implanion this summer (She is 18) and one of the girls in her dorm said she has it and hasnt stopped bleeding completely in 3 months!  

Amy_M
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Of course it could say negative and be incorrect.  You need to make an appt and see your gyno.

Quoting rodriguezmami02:

Thank you all for the advice. I have been on b.c for 2 yrs. I think my body should be used to it by now. But my luck I would be that 1% or so to be pregnant. Is there a possibility that if I take a hpt it could say negative and be incorrect? My husband is going to pick one up for me after work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)