Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it ok to spank a child with a belt?

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 226 Replies
1 mom liked this
Do you think it is ok for a parent to spank a child with a belt?
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM
4 moms liked this
hmmm im kind of on the fence about that. i do spank...rarely and only when an infraction has been repeated over and over and over and other methods do not seem to stop it. I know their grandma has a switch ad WILL use it, though never left bruises. i had a belt used on me as a child and well i turned out pretty normal. i cant say i would never do it...but the situation would have to be pretty extreme
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM
3 moms liked this
We do it. we don't spank hard tho.
twicethemomjess
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM
6 moms liked this
Never. I spank. Never with an object.
KRISTAL_WILDER
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I was spanked with a belt every now and then but never hard. I would never do it myself because it is illegal and i would be afraid of doing it too hard.

lovebugs_mom906
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel like if you are going to spank, you should use your hand so you know just how hard your hitting. I spank on very rare occasions, but never with anything but my hand, and never anywhere but the butt.
fudgybuddymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

No I don't. But then I don't believe in spanking. Did spank only once or twice when Molly was younger but it didn't really change anything as much as talking to her or grounding her,taking away toys,stuff like that. She's 14 & a pretty good kid now.

maureen813
by New Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM
24 moms liked this
I am very sad that anyone, in this day and age, with thousands of books, magazines, Internet sites that provide a multitude of parenting tools, strategies and suggestions someone would resort to hitting a child with a belt. If you posted a question that asked if it is okay to hit an dog or cat with a belt, would you get many people to agree that it was?
jenzachsam
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM
2 moms liked this

No.  Isn't it against the law?  Leather belts freaking hurt!  I find talking goes a lot further than belts/spankings.  

guia
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this
No I won't is abuse your using a weapon. I don't use belt on my kids. I take away things they like. My dd is 4 yrs old I would never never hurt her. That hurt my heart to do that. She get time out right now. But as she get older it will change. You know I was abuse when i was a little girl I hit with belt cords slipper and with the hands. I didn't like it at all I don't have relationship with my family.
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM
9 moms liked this

No, thats not spanking, thats a beating. Thats abuse. I have no issue with a well deserved swat on the bottom with the hand of a caring parent, but using an object that will leave marks and cause unecessary amounts of pain, that is uncalled for, no child deserves that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN