Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my SO says im being a mean \ bad parent...am i??

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM
  • 84 Replies
so DD who is 7 has found a new game to play...we sit down to dinner and she suddenly has an issue \ problem with whatever veggie happens to be on her plate. now this makes day number 4 of this. in the last 4 days all of the veggies i have served she has eaten 1000 times before with no problem. but suddenly she does not "like" them. i told her fine finish the rest of your dinner, but come bedtime i dont wanna hear a word about your hungry etc. sure enough come bed time its whining and crying about shes hungry etc. I refuse to feed her. its a ploy not to eat her veggies and stay up later. SO says i am being overy mean and should feed her. now, if she ate her dinner like everyone else, and came to me close to bedtime and said she was hungry i would have no problem fixing her a snack. however when you refuse to eat your dinner well you dont get snacks right before bed.

so...am i being "mean"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raczac
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
No we do the same thing with oyr boys they are almost 7 and 8.
AMR320
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I do the same. If you don't eat your dinner you get nothing else for the rest of the night. My girls are 5 & 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wicked.Jester
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Nope.  If you don't eat your dinner you don't get snacks later.

How is it mean to not allow her to replace a veggie with a snack?

Your SO would probably think I was even meaner, because my kids would be sitting at the table until they ate it.  And if they refused, it would be breakfast the next day.

Needless to say, I never had veggie eating issues with my kids after a couple rounds of that.

caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM
glad someone agrees with me. he says i am too "old school" and take after my mom too much when parenting. that no one parents "that" way anymore

Quoting raczac:

No we do the same thing with oyr boys they are almost 7 and 8.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM
We do the same. They caught on.
nickname-mommy
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM

i remember when i was a kid if i didn't eat what was on my plate i got it again cold the next day and the next. now that is mean but it that was the way it was. i don't what yer doing is mean at all! lol time for a meal thats mostly veggies like veggie soup or something she would have no choice but to eat or be very hungry lol

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM
4 moms liked this
I would give her the option of eating the veggies she skipped. lol
caringmommy2012
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM
When i was young and stayed with my grandma whatever we didn't eat got put in the fridge and if we said we were hungry that is what we were offered if we didn't eat it we didn't get desert or anything else.
OrangeBalloon
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Kids go through weird phase of liking things and then suddenly disliking them. I have a four year old too and they are quiet contrary. LOL. My dd is also in a picky phase. I've decided not to press the issue. I keep some of those pureed fruit and veggie pouches on hand. If dd is hungry because she didn't eat well at dinner, I will give her one of them about 30 minutes before bed.
lovehimforever
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM
same rules apply in my house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN