Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

at what age did you let your kids bathe unattended??

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 43 Replies
mine are 7 6 and 5. i would let them shower alone at 4 but they had to leave the bathroom door open. tub bath alone..not until 5. i still wash the girls hair myself still though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommylovesdada
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Mine started taking showers alone at 4/5. My mom will let them take a bath alone when she watches them but I like to be in the next room. I'm paranoid they will fall asleep lol
caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM
well the 7 year old i trust more to be alone but esp the 5 year old, bath or shower the door needs to remain open and i stay close so i can hear him. it does give me peace of mind.

Quoting Mommylovesdada:

Mine started taking showers alone at 4/5. My mom will let them take a bath alone when she watches them but I like to be in the next room. I'm paranoid they will fall asleep lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I left the room briefly when they were 3 ish i think. Youngest is 11 so it's been a long time. I had them sing to me as i stepped out so i knew they were doing good.
caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM
thats a great idea! esp when they r little and u have to step out super fast. i forgot DD towel in the dryer when she was about 2 ish and wad home alone. its only about 10 steps from the tub to the dryer but i was freaking out the whole time. i was afraid to carry her because our floors are concrete and i didnt want her slipping out my arms onto the floor

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I left the room briefly when they were 3 ish i think. Youngest is 11 so it's been a long time. I had them sing to me as i stepped out so i knew they were doing good.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I let my six year old son start bathing alone at five, but I check in on him and keep the door cracked. 

tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 3:09 AM
At 3 I'll step out momentarily but door is always open. I'll let them bathe alone at 4 but I'm still really vigilant about when my 4 and 5 year olds are bathing. My 8 year old I don't worry about at all anymore.
alexis_06
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 3:15 AM

dd was showering by herself at 4..(i still helped wash her hair and her back tho)

trainlady
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Sounds about right. My 7 year old and my 4 year old boys were bathing together and playing with their toys. Everything was going fine when all of a sudden the oldest one screamed bloody murder and came flying out of the bathroom. I asked him what was wrong and he turned around and showed me his butt and blood was running down his legs. I was terrified. I grabbed a wet cloth and leaned him over my lap and wiped until I found the problem. He had a slit in his but right next to his rectum. Evidently he and his brother were playing with a tonka toy and he slipped on it and the edge cut his butt. We took him to the ER immediately. The doctor said it was not serious and he would need a couple of stitches.  A short while later the doctor came out of the surgery room laughing his sides off. I asked him what was so funny and he said that was the cleanest butt he had ever seen in all his years of doctoring. The kids had been in the tub for about an hour and so my son was spotless. It was funny after all the fear calmed down but they were never allowed to play with anything but rubber toys in the tub after that.

caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM
wow im sorry yall had to go through that. a lesson was learned though and i will be sure to heed it with my kids!

Quoting trainlady:

Sounds about right. My 7 year old and my 4 year old boys were bathing together and playing with their toys. Everything was going fine when all of a sudden the oldest one screamed bloody murder and came flying out of the bathroom. I asked him what was wrong and he turned around and showed me his butt and blood was running down his legs. I was terrified. I grabbed a wet cloth and leaned him over my lap and wiped until I found the problem. He had a slit in his but right next to his rectum. Evidently he and his brother were playing with a tonka toy and he slipped on it and the edge cut his butt. We took him to the ER immediately. The doctor said it was not serious and he would need a couple of stitches.  A short while later the doctor came out of the surgery room laughing his sides off. I asked him what was so funny and he said that was the cleanest butt he had ever seen in all his years of doctoring. The kids had been in the tub for about an hour and so my son was spotless. It was funny after all the fear calmed down but they were never allowed to play with anything but rubber toys in the tub after that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM

my oldest is 5 and I've in the past few months, left her alone to take a bath.. I check in frequently of course, and wash her hair, and make sure she washes herself properly, but that all takes 2-5 mins, the rest of the time is hers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN