Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How long does a loaf of bread last in your house?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM
  • 35 Replies

How long does a loaf of bread last for your family?

What about milk? How long does a gallon last you?

Eggs? How far can you stretch a dozen of them?

I'm just curious...I buy these three items more than anything else, and bread most of all. I swear I am buying almost 2 loaves of bread a week. I do have a bread machine though, so I'm thinking of making my own. Does it actually save you money to do it that way?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Indy3000
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM

We go threw bread sooo fast too, i do lot's of pbj's, toast, deli sandwiches ect. If I make homemade bread (a bunch cheaper) it goes even faster because it is sooo damn delicious lol. We dont drink regular milk, only almond milk and i go threw 3 half gallons twice a month, eggs we use alot when we are trying to cut our grocery bill

KendallsMommee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Bread = a week

Milk (gallon) = 5 days

Eggs = about 10-12 days

Family of 3.
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Bread-it molds
Eggs-18 eggs a month if I am not baking
Milk-a gallon week and a half
justahousewife
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Fresh bread doesn't have the shelf life of store bought so we finish it in about 2 days or it goes to the poultry. Milk, 2-3 gallons a week for just drinking. Eggs, just depends how many we have available. I can use up 5dz or not use any for weeks. 

RADmomma
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:20 PM

we go through about 3 to 4 loafs of bread.

a gallon of milk lasts a day and a half.

eggs we usually buy 18 at a time... twice a week.

We have 7 people in our house at the moment though.

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Now that my oldest went to college one loaf lasts over a week. A gallon of milk a week. 2 dozen eggs a week. Before she moved out, twice that.
kaylaybaby666
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Bread about 3 days, milk is 3 gallons in about a week and a half and eggs, we dont really like eggs
storkradio193
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Bread: maybe a week depending on whether we have bagels then longer
Milk; 5-7 days
Eggs: sometimes a long time, unless making omlets in the morning 

LilTymomma
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM

bread peobably 1 2/3 to 2 in a week- we buy bread for like 1.25 a loaf so I dont think is a very big issue with us

Milk 1 galloon /week -since My boy has milk and constipation issues so we reduced him to one glass a day, and daddy and mommy(me) eat cereal and oatmeal with milk. You would have to look at ingredients, electricity (if it takes a lot of it or gas) and how much you already spend on bread. 

tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Eggs... A dozen probably lasts about a day and a half? But seeing as we get about 4 dozen a day from our chickens....

Gallon of milk lasts over a week if we don't have cold cereal. About 4 or 5 days if we do.

Bread - I use pretty much a loaf and a half a day on weekdays, and 1/2 to 1 on weekend days.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)