Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

To much for a Birthday????

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 87 Replies
1 mom liked this
So ever year me and my husband have this disagreement about how much I should spend on my son's birthday. Honestly I grew up in a home that I was the only child and my family over does everything, he grew up in a home with two other siblings and they dont do like my family. So we have very different views on birthday parties and Christmas and so on. I honestly feel like I don't go overboard what so ever but he completely disagrees. My question is how much do you spend on your kids Birthday? What the total amount including birthday party, rentals, food, cake, favors, birthday presents, the overall total?

I spend roughly 500 to 1000. Like this year the cake was $60, the moonwalk was 160, party supplies about 70, favors about 40, and then birthday gift about 200, including food this year will probably spend $600.

Oh yeah its a home party and he's 6. The guest list is about 40to50 ppl. I have a huge family and we invited his class, I'm praying only have them show up.
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Gifts around $100/150.  We aways did at holme party so that wasnt much. We did a craft or candy instead of goodie bags because I dislike them. Food was huge either depending on party theme.

I did go all out for 1st birthday. I worked for a caterer and had it catered.

kellysp6637
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I've spent anywhere from $200- up to $850 for a bday party.....Like you, my parents ALWAYS overspent.....Christmas mornings, both my brothers and I always woke up and when we came down the stairs, the presents literally cover the ENTIRE living room floor and meet us at the foot of our stairwell....it was insane...my mom later told me that the reason they always spent so much at Christmas time was because my dad grew up very poor and never had a Christmas with gifts so at Christmas time they spent $2- 3,000 (this was in the late 70's early 80's) at Christmas time on us kids.  He loved Christmas time and enjoyed playing "santa".....

I don't go to that extreme....but I do over do holidays and birthdays because I enjoy the festivities.

Some bday parties I've thrown for the kids:

Cowgirl party (rented my dd's horse trainer and horses to do a party at my house)....rented bounce house, along with face painting gift from us that year was her own strawberry shortcake tv and matching dvd player.

Rented out the entire monster mini golf and party rooms for a private party...it was fabulous....the entire place to ourselves and forty friends of hers....so much fun

Rented a Ryan's Family Amusement for a Disco Bowling party...was a BLAST

This year were having it at an amusement park.....train rides, all the rides in the park, etc.....plus they'll be having trick or treating and can go in costume....we're having about 20 people and it's about $30 per person, but will be so much fun.  She's only 10 once!

TxSummerNights
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Quoting kellysp6637:

I've spent anywhere from $200- up to $850 for a bday party.....Like you, my parents ALWAYS overspent.....Christmas mornings, both my brothers and I always woke up and when we came down the stairs, the presents literally cover the ENTIRE living room floor and meet us at the foot of our stairwell....it was insane...my mom later told me that the reason they always spent so much at Christmas time was because my dad grew up very poor and never had a Christmas with gifts so at Christmas time they spent $2- 3,000 (this was in the late 70's early 80's) at Christmas time on us kids.  He loved Christmas time and enjoyed playing "santa".....

I don't go to that extreme....but I do over do holidays and birthdays because I enjoy the festivities.

Some bday parties I've thrown for the kids:

Cowgirl party (rented my dd's horse trainer and horses to do a party at my house)....rented bounce house, along with face painting gift from us that year was her own strawberry shortcake tv and matching dvd player.

Rented out the entire monster mini golf and party rooms for a private party...it was fabulous....the entire place to ourselves and forty friends of hers....so much fun

Rented a Ryan's Family Amusement for a Disco Bowling party...was a BLAST

This year were having it at an amusement park.....train rides, all the rides in the park, etc.....plus they'll be having trick or treating and can go in costume....we're having about 20 people and it's about $30 per person, but will be so much fun.  She's only 10 once!

My Christmas was like that too. I have a huge family with four sets of grandparents who all want to spoil so that's what I'm use to and that's also what my sons used to. This years present is a little bit less expensive than all the other years cuz I really just don't know what to buy so instead of getting one big present and a couple little present he's just getting one big present. I think for Christmas we are gonna upgrade his 4wheeler and stuff. The only thing I see wrong with "overdoing" holidays is you run out of things to buy.
hugss
by Emerald Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I guess it depends,
We have two sons & did a nice one for each .. they got to pick :)

ColieO
by I Rock on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I never spend over $150.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not too much if you have the budget for it.  I think its cool that you make it a big event for his birthday.  Some people plan a big party and then they are broke for the nexy month so  I say as long as the party is within your means then spend what you wish.

MrsMejia1225
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I am spending about $700 for my sons birthday this year. Sometimes even if you try to keep it simple its expensive . I think its a reasonable amount to spend on a kids birthday party.
Dragonhead
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I suppose if you have the budget for it, go for it.  Doesn't sound like your husband is on board so I'm wondering why you two can't reach a compromise? 

Frankly and personally speaking, $500-1000 sounds excessive to me for a child's party but that's because my budget never allowed that amount.  We had small celebrations, cookouts and sleepovers with movies at home with just a few of son's friends invited ... $100 max.

To each his or her own....

DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM
In our home you get 3 choices. You can either have a gift, have a bday party, or go out to eat as a family. As the kids get older they have figured out that if you have a party you still get gifts lol. The reasons we do this. Kids need to know how the world works I don't want my kids growing up thinking they have to spend a ton of money on their kids bdays to prove something to them.
HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM
I usually spend around $500 but we have 3 kids so I try to keep it balanced so no one has a "better" birthday. I usually avoid big parties just because I don't really like kids that much lol. They usually invite around 10 friends, sometimes less depending on the type of party.

To me overboard is getting your kid 50 gifts. We do 1 gift from each family member. The party favors, food, decorations, etc are for the guests. That's part of being a good host/hostess.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)