Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Middle school teacher swearing

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM
  • 17 Replies
Should students report a teacher for using mild swear words in class? Damn, the phrase bs?
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I said "oh shit" one day when i was in a class of kinders!
I stepped in to talk to a friend and she was supervising a game of tag. She stepped into her office, asking me to watch the kids. (Legal as they just need a licensed teacher in the room, not just a gym teacher)
A little boy was running to a wall and i was getting up to tell him to slow down so near a brick wall. At that moment he tripped and flew into the wall head first. It sounded like a bat cracking into a wall! "Oh shit!" As i jumped up!
He actually shattered an eye socket and had a concussion from it. Nobody complained i swore.
Katikins
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Was it used while speaking to a chile or directed at a child? If that was the case then I would report it. However if it just slipped out and was accidental then I would let it go. Maybe talk to the teacher and tell them you don't appriciate the language being used?

katie_did
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM
It's happened a few times, but never aimed at a student. More for emphasis I think.

Quoting Katikins:

Was it used while speaking to a chile or directed at a child? If that was the case then I would report it. However if it just slipped out and was accidental then I would let it go. Maybe talk to the teacher and tell them you don't appriciate the language being used?

Andreaaa81
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM

It happens. Sometimes It is just a litttttle one that slips out. It should not happen on purpose or frequently. But if it is directed at a child that is totally unprofessional. 

laura1986
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not going to say I think it's okay to swear in a classroom setting but I had a teacher in the 7th grade who slipped mild curse words into the lesson occasionally and it was very effective at keeping the class interested in what he was teaching. Every student in my class passed with flying colors because we all listened very intently. I guess we found it entertaining at 12-13.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I guess it depends on how & if it was directed at a student?

katcorey616
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Highly inappropriate! No doubts .. no excuse but I know I've cursed and it was by accident. If the inappropriate behavious happens one more time yes. I'm hoping the teacher will be a little more cognizant about it.
OrangeBalloon
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Sometimes cursing is in novels. Like in The Outsiders. It can be hard to read some literature without encountering it. I would read a loud and so I would say it. Now when I was teaching and just doing normal lecturing, I didn't say things like that. 

trainlady
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Positively they should report them. Teachers are supposed to be role models and teaching our children the right way in life. Swearing is not the right way and no teacher should do that in class or in front of students at any time or place. If they cannot control their language then they should not be teachers. They are not hired to teach swearing. Report them and they should be sensored.

Tea4Tas
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Quoting trainlady:

Positively they should report them. Teachers are supposed to be role models and teaching our children the right way in life. Swearing is not the right way and no teacher should do that in class or in front of students at any time or place. If they cannot control their language then they should not be teachers. They are not hired to teach swearing. Report them and they should be sensored.

LOL-what they are going to instal a sensor on their body?

Report them and nothing wil happen -this is why there is tenure...so fools can't get talented teachers fired for saying damn in front of a 13 year old.

One of the BEST teachers I ever has used to say "I don't give a rat's ass". Some parents complained-NOTHING happened to him-and he started saying i don't give a complaining prude's behind-we all loved it.

Would have been a pity to lose such a talented teacher who could really connect with the kids to a small minded prude.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN