Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Have you ever made your own laundry detergent?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM
  • 39 Replies

I did for the first time today. I had been thinking about doing it for a little while now. At a local festival a woman had a booth set up with homemade laundry detergent. We bought some to try it out to see if we liked it. We did so I made a batch today and mine smells better. I am not sure what is different. I used all the same ingredients she did but must have used different brands or something. The ingredients are the same as what is all over pinterest.

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Mine uses equal parts washing soda, baking soda and oxiclean free and clear. We have very sensitive skin so we can't use dyes and perfumes. I have noticed a huge improvement in my sons eczema since switching.
miaglamer
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM
I made a batch on April that I'm still using. I think I still have enough to last through the new year. It lasts forever. And it's cheaper.
TattooLoveShow
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM
yes I made all my families soaps and lotions and since I have started my clothes are softer and my darks have stopped fading.
armyvet06
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I want to as soon as i move out of my parents house. Would help save a little money. Do you like it better than store bought detergent?
dee06
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I've made 2 batches so far. The first I made last September and it lasted about 8 months before I had to make a second. Less than $20 a batch so it is a huge money saver at my house. 

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I used to make my own.  Honestly, it did smell better than regular detergent but my whites always looked dingy.  With the amount of oxyclean I was using to keep my whites white, it was cheaper to buy regular detergent.

caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM
i would love to but have not yet. i have heard its cheaper and cleans better. i read somewhere (not sure if true) that most commercial laundry soaps are full of salt and thats why the colors fade etc because its so harsh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I've been making my own for 6+ years. My advice for anyone considering it: nix the grated soap. Not only is it unnecessary, I've found it leaves a nasty film on clothing. I prefer to just use washing soda + borax (optional for extra cleaning power) + oxyclean and keep it as a powder. A bit of cheap conditioner + vinegar in place of fabric softener leaves clothes smelling nice, but not overwhelming - nor covered in dirt-trapping residue. Bonus: it won't ruin towels like traditional fabric softeners do!
PaganKitty67
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM

That is great. I was so excited to first get the ingredients, then to make it, then to use it. LOL. I enjoyed making it. The only thing I didn't like was grating the laundry bar soap.

Quoting miaglamer:

I made a batch on April that I'm still using. I think I still have enough to last through the new year. It lasts forever. And it's cheaper.

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Pick up some liquid blueing. No matter what you wash with, you should use that stuff with whites.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I used to make my own.  Honestly, it did smell better than regular detergent but my whites always looked dingy.  With the amount of oxyclean I was using to keep my whites white, it was cheaper to buy regular detergent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)