Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dealing with hand me downs you don't want

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 41 Replies
I'm preparing for my baby who will be coming next month. I'm doing most of my shopping online and really loving the cute clothes I'm finding there. We tend to favor classic and comfortable styles, I'm particularly find of Ralph Lauren's cashmere layette collection.
One of my daughters babysits a couple of preschoolers but i do not know the mom well. I met her enough to know my daughter is safe over there but she isn't anyone i want as a friend. My daughter is constantly bring in home things from this mom for my baby. I don't care for the clothes at all, even if they were new. They seem very scratchy and not well made. At this point i probably have 2 garbage bags full of clothes and toys that i do not want. What is the most polite course of action? Send a thank you note and quietly donate the clothes or bring the stuff back and explain we have everything we need?
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2Sparrows4ever
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM
5 moms liked this
Thank you and donate
Amy_M
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Send a thank you and donate the stuff.  I think it would be rude to just take it back.

acrogodess
by Lissette on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Thank you note and donate to the Salvation Army. Keep one Piece or two to "show off" when you pick up your dd and call it a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM
3 moms liked this
Thank you note and pass onto someone who is grateful.
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I would say thank you and donate or give away the items you do not want.  Is there someone close by that might need/want the clothes?

HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I would just thank her and donate them to someone who could use them. No point hurting any feelings, she's just trying to be nice.
jamminmomma
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Send a thank you card, and maybe a little gift for her, and then donatet he stuff, why be rude about her kindness. 

Jacqalyn
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Thank you and donate to someone who can't afford the higher price stuff.
NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM
I'm 41 so none of my friends are currently having babies. My sister has a baby but she already has too many clothes and about 1/4 of the outfits are too small before the tags come off

Quoting ScrChk23:

I would say thank you and donate or give away the items you do not want.  Is there someone close by that might need/want the clothes?

jesusismyfriend
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Send a thank you note and donate. That's what I do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN