Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Potty training. Help!

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM
  • 6 Replies
My ds will be 3 next month, so his father and I are in the midst of potty training. He's absolutely wonderful when it comes to #1, even with a pull-up on. Ds has been using the potty for approx 2 months when he has to go #1 but he refuses, and I mean absolutely, totally refuses to go #2 in the potty. He goes in his pull-up, big boy underwear and even on the floor when we let him go au natural. His father wants to use the punishment method (taking toys away) but I don't like that idea. But I'm lost. It's to the point of causing fusses between his father and I because we don't agree on how to go about it. I don't want to bribe with candy or treats so he comes to expect it, but I need something. Any advice is appreciated
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
pattybear156
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM

maybe try underwear for him,that worked with both mine, yes you will have accidents be sure to take a change of clothes if y ou go out. but know it's ok to have accidents while potty training. most of all they will do it in time.

Gwyndolyn
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Bribery is always good. My daughter sounds similar to your son. In fact, athough in a diaper at age 2 1/2, she was pee trained. She never had a wet overnight diaper since age 2 1/2. I threw away many, many un-peed-in overnight diapers. But pooping, forget it. In fact at age 3, if she was in underwear, she'd scream "get me a diaper!" And I did. Why? Because I didn't want to stress her out and get her constipated. I asked what she wanted, what would it take to make her poop in the potty. A car? A cruise? Well, she said a Batman cape. She's very into Batman. So, I bought the cape and it sat in the drawer for quite a while. Finally, at age 3 1/2 (I know that's late, call me a terrible parent if you like), my husband was yelling "Get the cape!" She finally pooped in the toilet and was fine after that. So, yes, a bribe would likely work.

Mater-three
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I bribed my girls. They were pt within a week
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmaw89
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Is he bribable? Maybe instead of taking toys get a new one, a really desired one and put it in a visable spot with a sticker chart and a sticker each day of no accidents and when he gets x amount of stickers (5-7) he gets the reward. We used candy with dd:/ she was kind if a monster for a few days but she doesn't expect it or anything now. Good luck.
kenziesmomma228
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM

DD had the same issue. It was to the point where she didn't want to do it in her pull up bc she was afraid we would get mad so she became constipated. We made it fun (as weird as that sounds). We sang songs telling the poop to get out of her belly. When it was time to flush we would say bye to it. I even let her sit there as long as she wanted and even gave her a few books and she loves to read so that helped ease her mind from what she was actually doing. Just be patient and no matter what I do not recommend punishment.

dllw8487081113
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM

my son and oldest daughter

I never had problems potty training my son I had him fully trained by the time he was 2 year's not even a wet bed me and his father would just take him to the bathroom with us and we would keep him on his potty until he did something he would always were regular underwear during the day and even at nights we weren't worried about a wet bed cause he would sleep throughout the night he even helped us out training his sister
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN