Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I only wanted one...now I have 9...damn it!!!,

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:04 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

So two weeks ago i bought a hamster for my DD.  she HAD to have a girl, her words were 'no males in the house mom' lol.

so we take a look and see the female that we wanted....she was the only one coming up to the glass! as if begging us to take her lol. How could I say no?

a week goes by and i notice that the hamster is a lot bigger than what she was...she had been gathering food and putting it in the corner, sleeping more than usual...i thought she was pregnant. 

Long story short, took her back to the pet store for them to check...manager says she doesn't feel any babies and she didnt think she was pregnant.

I come home this Saturday ....to 7 babies lol, i leave for an hour come back and there was one more which totals 8. 

Yes ive bought the aquarium, transferred the babies to it with a spoon ( and the mother) .but now I have questions. 

Why do they cry? How old do the babies have to be that the mother will not eat them.? 

Any helpful tips or info would be greatly appreciated!

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:08 AM
3 moms liked this
ummm i would be dropping them off at the petstore so the manager who said she wasnt preggo could deal with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Two_Hearts
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Quoting caligirl7613:

ummm i would be dropping them off at the petstore so the manager who said she wasnt preggo could deal with it

The pet store said they would take the babies...however to take them now means taking the mother as well, because the babies need to feed off the mother. I'm not willing to take back my daughters pet for the next six weeks.

caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:15 AM
yea your kinda in a pickle. if some babies dont make it, you may have some difficult discussions ahead

Quoting Two_Hearts:

Quoting caligirl7613:

The pet store said they would take the babies...however to take them now means taking the mother as well, because the babies need to feed off the mother. I'm not willing to take back my daughters pet for the next six weeks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SissyAnn141
" I AM PROUD, TO BE A CHRISTIAN AMERICAN.......
Today at 3:13 AM
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Quoting Two_Hearts:

Quoting caligirl7613:

I was thinking they were mammal's, and nursed ?

"Praying for You"

happy41ce
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:17 AM
You need to leave them with her and take them away in 3 weeks.
happy41ce
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:17 AM
She needs to nurse or your gonna make them die.
nocalmegan
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:17 AM
My sisters hamster ate all 6 of her babies so I have no idea :(
mmtosam06
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I would take all of them and get a new hamster
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Two_Hearts
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Quoting happy41ce:

She needs to nurse or your gonna make them die.

Well of course i know that lol...did you assume i didnt transfer the mother with them because i didn't put it in my post? I apologize, i assumed it was common sense..babies need to be with mom.

Two_Hearts
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Quoting nocalmegan:

My sisters hamster ate all 6 of her babies so I have no idea :(

Oh thats sad!, how old were the babies when she did that? 

Did your sister touch the babies? Because if she did that may be why..or they all may have been sick, been doing some reading about why hamsters eat their babies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)