Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you allow your kids to use profanity?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM
  • 68 Replies
1 mom liked this

My little one is to the age where I only have to worry about what she parrots from others, and that's bad enough, but my sister's stepdaughter is 15 and has started calling her a bitch and saying other curse words as well. The bad thing is that my sister can't discipline her about that - other than the namecalling - because her husband and his ex allow the girl to curse, saying she's "practically grown and can do what she wants."

Do you allow your kids to curse around or at you?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Nope.  Everyone that knows me will not use that type of language around me.  I do not like it at all and have used discipline towards adults when dd picked it up.   Why would a teenager call a young child a horrible name?  It is not cute or funny.

Hadadat
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

No. My DS is only 7 1/2 and we're trying to teach him that big words are to be used as a grown up because you've earned them by not saying them as a kid.

TatyBear
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't censor at home.

I don't believe in curse words personally. They have no meaning to me. My kids can say whatever they please in OUR home. But have respect when with others, same.as myself. I understand that not everyone.is like myself. Ans my children understand that as well.

But since I have never made it taboo to "curse" they never actually do it. Don't feel the need to like so many other kids who have been taught its wrong.
At most they say.Jesus Christ or damn it. But I don't.consider them curse.words either.
mommyof3-2008
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My Sd is 15.  She does cuss around friends.  But she NEVER does around or at us nor to her siblings.  We understand we can not control what comes out of her mouth at school.  But when she is at home...it is not allowed.  If I ever heard my younger ones repeat something from her...she would be dead...lol.  But she understands that. 

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM
No. Mine are 9,9, and 6. They know I will use a bar of soap to wash those dirty mouths if I were to hear such.
goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I got used properly and not overused they can. Example my daughter is helping me make dinner (she is 6) and while opening a can she cuts herself and says something along great the lines of son of a bitch, she will not be in trouble. Now I feel she looks at her brother and calls him a mother fucker she will definitly be in trouble for that. Also of said words were said at school or around grandparents she would also be interested trouble not only for cussing but for being disrespectful as well.
AmiJanell
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM

My son is only 5... so those words better not be coming from his mouth.   And as he gets older (like high school aged), we MIGHT allow (or should I say overlook) some profanity as long as it's not directed at someone... I know that I swore when I was in high school... not excessively, and also never around my parents.   There are usually more intelligent words that one can come up with to express how they feel.... but sometimes "SHIT!" just sums it up perfectly.

aKaRoz
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I have never allowed my daughter to use curse words around me or in my house.  All was good until she became a teenager.  With her peers, seemingly she has a mouth like a sailor!  I told her that her inability (whether by choice or bad habit) to use better words to express herself only shows her lack of education and ignorance.  (mind you she is a straight A student)  I told her that yes, sometimes a bad word slips out, and yes, some people use bad words to express themselves in a playful way and part of their everyday language but it is NOT cute.  I hate when my "younger" friends use the term "bitches" as for "girlfriends" I told them I prefer not to be included in that reference. 

It has been challenging with my teenager, but soon enough (a year and a half) she will be 18 and making her own decisions about many things, and perhaps she needs to hear it from someone else, (an employer perhaps) that her bad language is not acceptable and the consequences will be more than just her mom telling her.  Besides, what does mom know???  "Oh mom, you just dont understand."  "Oh mom, you need to calm down it's not that big of a deal."  "Oh child, you have no idea how the real world is going to kick your *arse (LOL) and then maybe you will get it"

Just Sayin' :)  Happy Tuesday Ladies!

IronJennyKidd
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I called my mom a bitch once.  Once.  My parents made it very clear what was and was not respectful language.  My dad would tell me that I would be old enough to use that language when I was an adult, and by adult he meant living under my own roof, making my own money and paying my own bills.  Until then I was still his child and to live under his rule of no child curses.

Now, there were times when "hell" or "damn" would slip out, and they let that sort of thing slide, but there was no excuse for the "F" word and certainly don't call each other names.  

ColieO
by I Rock on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM
No. Do I fucking curse? Damn straight. Do my kids know those are adult words and are not allowed to use them? Yup. Does my6 year old chastise me? Yup lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)